Pacific Northwest Fruit Trees?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by NewAttitude, Aug 6, 2006.

1. NewAttitude

NewAttitude Seedling

I've always wanted to have some sort of fruit tree, but have never seen or heard of any type of fruit trees that do well in the pacific northwest.

Does anyone know of some that can stand 9 months of clouds and drizzly rain and still yield some tasty fruit?

2. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

I am between Puget Sound and Mt. Rainier. Here I have had success with the apples Chehalis (recomended specifically for the area) and Spartan (really delicious). I am trying Melrose and Queen Cox but they are too young to produce. My asian plum Methley is just loaded with super sweet small fruits. They are ripe now and I need to pick them today. Best plums I've had. Asian pears do very well here. We grow three varieties that I don't remember how to spell. Definately worth the effort.
    I can't recomend peaches for this area I only tried once with the Frost peach tree which is supposed to be resistant to the peach leaf curl that is a problem with peaches in my area. No success. I do know people that did O.K. with them though. I think it's just easier to purchase my peaches from the stand. Cherries are iffy on this side of the Cascades. It often rains in June and splits the fruit.
    If you live east of the mountains you can grow even more types of fruit than me. Apple capital of the world but I suppose you know that!
    I don't know about Oregon but I bet most of what I said for my area is true for that area.
    Rain Tree Nursery in Morton WA specializes in edibles. They have a great catalog and will ship to you.

muddy

3. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I'm in western Oregon, and my apples always do well - I also grow very good Italian prunes/plums and also two kinds of grapes. Cherries are good some years, iffy others, as Muddybob noted. My neighbor has a fabulous pear tree that always sets a lot of fruit, and there's always berries (plenty to pick from - black, marion, kotata, rasp, logans, currants, blue, huckle and straw - woot!)

4. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

We have a pear tree here in Michigan that bears more fruit than my husband or neighbor can eat but it was hear long before we were so don't know the variety. But it stands up to Michigan weather which is a challenge.

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

There are some orchards near here that grow peaches, but I am not sure what variety they are - my mom did pretty good here with one peach tree, in full sun.