Pacific NW Spanish Moss?

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Was watching a gardening show of a lovely conservatory. The curator was talking about the ease of growing Spanish moss in a greenhouse since it is an air plant. Since I moved I am closer to the rainforest by 20 miles. Although there are fewer trees around the house the west boarder has a nice selection of evergreens and a big leaf maple. Every time the wind blows bits of blue air plants end up on the ground and in the grass. If it is a particularly big piece I drape them on a branch of the big old snowball bush. When camping I had found a pretty branch of an azalea. The leaves were dried and the bark was a peeling, scarred and an attractive burgundy. In my mind I put the two together, the branch and the moss. I ended up with three pieces to sit in the shade of the snowball bush on the retaining wall or table.

D32092EC-5CDB-4819-A8B8-B5D9CC82E549.jpeg

7B64C39D-4D04-4EF3-B85B-F04819B7D1EC.jpeg

Sorry the head didn’t come out too well. I should have used a dark background. I filled the head rocks to support branches covered in lichen and other air plants as well as sticking in any extra air plants. There at least two and maybe three or four varieties of air plants not including other moss and lichens. Am fascinated to see how these do and if the air plants will continue to grow.

Sjoerd, eileen and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. Loading...