In 1987 after I built our koi pool the previous year, I decided as a sort of enhancement I'd like some authentic looking Japanese lanterns. What were available at that time in garden centres, I thought were far too small, looked rubbish and were ridiculously expensive. The chance of finding a six foot pagoda was out of the question, so I made my own out of concrete. The lanterns with their outer skin of dyed mortar to match the colour of the York stone patio and paths I'd made were OK, but I decided the pagoda would look naff unless I painted it. > Over the years, the weather gets to it, it's had the occasional "tart up." But it needed a full go over this year. Not a pretty sight after a jet wash. But I'm getting there. I've painted the soren (that gold thing on the top) and the roofs. I've made all new finials for the corners of the roofs. (36 of them) Didn't take long. They are just bits of dowel that were used to support orchids, "that have passed on," but they'll need another coat. It's impossible to get all the angles right with a drill. So the sockets for them are oversize and I can get them in at the right depth and angle if they are set in clear silicone. I might paint the "brown bits" tomorrow when I come home from golf. Then it'll be just touching up the white and red on the next dry day. I've found Hammerite metal paint ideal for painting concrete as it's thick and sticks well to the surface.