Painting tools

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Perdita Shaylee, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

If I had all the garden tools I've lost I would have to build a warehouse for them. If I didn't leave them somewhere someone would carry them off I am sure some of which was unintentional so one day I decided to paint all my tools and I do mean all my tools. Since that day I have not lost the first hot pink shovel or hammer or plant snippers! Not only doe's no one acidently carry them off they are easy to spot in tall grass or in the woods,a matter of fact you cannot miss them!It only takes a minute with a can of spray paint and look at all the time I have saved hunting for them and the money. Pick any bright color except green of course. Hope this tip helps some of you. Perdi

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a great tip Perdi!!!! :D I'm always laying my trowels down and forgetting where they are. :oops: Hey I could even paint them with fluorescent paint so that I can find them in the dark!!! :smt040

4. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

I have these floresent strips that you just peel and stick, can't remember where I got them from and I have used them and they are great. Perdi

5. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Hi Perdi and welcome to GardenStew. Thanks for the tip. I bought a pair of bypass pruners this spring, never used them, they turned up missing. Still haven't found them. Go figure. If I had painted them maybe I could find them.

Advertisement
  6. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

I know it has really helped me mostly because I am so forgetful and go to wandering on to something else and end up laying my stuff down. Sometimes the dog even picks my stuff up and hides it but I always find it now. You can get creative and paint dots and stuff and I use too but find that you have to spray tools every year or so and one color is just easier. Perdi

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That's a novel idea Perdita. I suppose the best colours to pick are the colours that would not naturally occur in a garden like any of the flourescent colours.

Could you paint a wheelbarrow? ;)

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ahhhhh now we know someone who lost a wheelbarrow don't we? ;) ;) Now if it had been fluorescent orange it would have been spotted without any problems wouldn't it? :D :D

9. Frank

Now now let's not jump to conclusions eh ;) I was just wondering what is the size limit was for the painting tools method :D

10. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Welcome. I keep telling myself to do this. The only trowels I can find have red plastic handles. :rolleyes:

11. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

HI! If you have lost a wheel barrow I'm afraid paint may not be what you need. It could be a indication that it is either time to cut the grass or perhaps make a appointment to the eye doctor. :D Perdi

12. southern bell

southern bell Seedling

Well now, my curiosity is up. Just how did someone lose a wheel barrow? I planted succulents in mine but I've never lost one!
    Great idea Perdi, I have lost a few trowels and pruners.

13. Frank

Nobody lost a wheelbarrow, I just meant it as a joke :D Amazing how rumours get started :smt023

14. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

Guess it is a good thing you didn't ask if you could paint your significant other???? :idea: :rolleyes: Now I'm on to something!!! Perdi

15. Perdita Shaylee

Perdita Shaylee New Seed

Oh yes to answer your question, I would say there is no size limit but I would use non toxic if you decide to paint the mule and I have lost one of those and two sheep. P

16. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

You guys are just too funny.If I loose anything out of my yard I ask shanna if her are Kevin has them :)