Pansy seedling problem?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Nefret, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Nefret

Nefret New Seed

Hi all, I’m new here. I’ve been vegetable gardening for the last 5 years, previously in zone 8 but now in the frigid 5b
    Every year I buy pansy seedlings to start off the Spring, but this year wanted to try my luck at starting from seed. I obtained Imperial Antique Shades pansy seeds and started them in sterile mix, covered, at temps about 50s on Feb 1st. Within 10 days, they started to germinate. I put them under full spectrum LED lights at manufacturer’s recommended height. Now almost 3 weeks later they still don’t have true leaves. Is this normal? They’re watered from the bottom when I first notice the mix beginning to get dry. They should have ok light. The only thing I can think of is that my grow room isn’t well insulated and temperatures can range between 50s - 70. Given pansies enjoy cooler weather, I didn’t think that would be a problem but maybe it is?
    The pictures show the seedlings near first germination on Feb 15th and now on March 1st.

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I think you may be in too big a hurry ! They look fine to me ! Remember the weather and temps determine growth ! Just give them a little time ! Only 28 days in Feb. so your seedlings are barely three weeks old ! In about six weeks you should see more growth !

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Nefret

Nefret New Seed

Thank you, mart! I figured it was probably a patience thing. I’m used to vegetable seedlings which tend to move along at a more rapid clip

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Just give them time !

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well I am like you ! Vegetables are my thing ! Its no good if you can`t eat it ! Its beginning to warm up here so should be soon where you are ! Remember the nurseries and grow houses have perfect conditions so you only see them at their best ! Growing from seed and at home is more challenging !

7. Nefret

Nefret New Seed

Definitely getting excited for the veg season! Just planted some broccoli seeds as well as sweet and jalapeño peppers. That average last frost date is rapidly approaching, though not as soon as yours :) After the Midwestern arctic blast, though, temperatures have swung nearly 100 degrees the other direction. There’s plenty of winter left, but the crocus, glory of the snow, and hyacinths we planted last year don’t seem bothered by that as they are just beginning to peek through.

I hope you stayed safe and warm in the Texas freeze.

Though I’ve never eaten them, I do hear pansy flowers make a lovely edible salad garnish ;)

Odif likes this.