Parsley, parsley everywhere!

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by marlingardener, Aug 21, 2021.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Mighty Oak

Usually (every year but this) our parsley goes to seed in mid-July. I harvested a basket of parsley this morning--still big flat leaves, no sign of seed heads. I am thrilled! If there is a parsley shortage this winter, I can supply frozen chopped parsley to all and sundry.
    For preserving parsley I find that freezing damp leaves chopped fine is so much better than trying to dry it. Dried parsley basically tastes like grass.
    The basil and marjoram are going bonkers, too. Mother Nature is making up for the nasty winter we suffered through.
    Anyone else having a longer season than usual?

Logan and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@marlingardener yes! Despite the crazy weather. I am awash in green beans, tomatoes, squash, garlic, basil, carrots, etc. In New England we are still at the height of harvesting time so i can't say yet if it will be a longer season than usual.

Enjoy your crop!

Logan, marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I shall have to wait and see if that turns out to be true for us. I can tell you that we are 2-3 weeks later than last year. Our begin was so slow that for a few weeks nothing was going on here at all...so, it was a late start, and now things are catching up. This is to say that our season began late, so I cannot yet say if it is longer or not.

Logan and marlingardener like this.
  5. Denisac

Denisac New Seed

I have forgotten about a spot in the garden where parsley used to grow every year without me doing anything. All summer long I had just one tiny production but I got busy with many other things and forgot all about it. Just as the weather was starting to get cold, my parsley sprang like out of nowhere and now I'm asking anyone I know if they want fresh parsley because there's too much. We had a good rain and that's all it took. It was a wonderful surprise. And I must say that the trees have more fruits that I can handle, as well. I don't think I've ever made so many smoothies. The season is ending strong, although it was a rather late start for me, as well.

Logan likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Mighty Oak

Denisac, parsley chopped fine freezes well. I make up small amounts of chopped parsley and use it in stews, as a sprinkle on chicken breasts, chops, etc. The taste is the same, although full leaves don't freeze well, so you don't have the parsley "look".
    Many members are mentioning that they are having more fruit that usual--apples, blueberries. What fruits are overwhelming you?

Logan, Denisac and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Denisac

Denisac New Seed

marlingardener They overwhelm me in only the best ways because I love smoothies and my family definitely enjoys all the work that I put into making them daily. And my mother enjoys making apple pies the most. At the moment I have a lot of apples, too, but also pears and grapes. Yesterday I even made a smoothie with grapes, bananas, pears, and apples and it was great. Nothing fancy but I love it.
    I already have my freezer full of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries so I'm getting excited for this winter.
    I will definitely freeze parsley. I never tried it because I also grow it in pot indoors but it would be a shame for all to go to waste. Thanks for the advice! Have a wonderful week!

marlingardener and Logan like this.