Passalong plants

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by marlingardener, Apr 4, 2012.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Kay brought this to mind with her desire to get a cutting of a shrub from a neighbor's garden. When you get a plant, cutting, or seeds from someone else, it's a "passalong plant". I've got several passalong roses and other perennials.
    Passalong plants were very popular in the past. During the depression, it was about the only way many women could expand their gardens, and of course, cuttings and seeds accompanied the settlers who moved west. When the plants grew at the new homestead, it reminded the settlers of friends and family "back East."
    Do you have any passalong plants?

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I've gotten plants from Toni, Carolyn Keiper and Stratsmom and some from Eileen, too. I posted some pictures of Toni's irises earlier.
    The ones from Stratsmom were planted at another house and the ones from Carolyn Keiper are by my back gate. I did give one pot with two plants to the neighbor. Eileens seeds were planted in Arizona. I wonder if they are still growing.
    dooley

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have many passalong plants in my garden given to me by friends and family. Some I got as seeds or cuttings but some were rooted plants. I'm grateful for each and every one as quite a few of them would have been too expensive for me to buy for myself.
    My latest passalongs were some white Aquilegia from, Peter, a friend in Yorkshire and a lovely patio butterfly bush from another friend in Essex. :-D

I have given many seeds, cuttings and plants to others too and think it's a wonderful way to share with other gardeners.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have brugmansia from Gail and brugmansia seeds from Philip which are growing quite nicely :-D. Thanks.

I forgot...., I have iris's from Kevin's grandmother and they are quite old, she passed away in 1958/9. and some lily of the valley from a cousin in Pa, who has also passed :)( I miss her.)

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'll bet at least half of the plants in my gardens are passalong plants or from passalong seeds. My most favorite are the passalong Peony's - especially the one from my Mom's garden :)

7. donm

donm In Flower

My Mother's bright red peony, It's shortest of my peonies.
    [​IMG]

My grandmother's pheasants eye daffodils. I also have a double yellow daffodil from her.
    [​IMG]

A friend's grandmother gave me a start of these peonies 20 years ago.
    [​IMG]

My other grandmother gave me some of her irises. I think these may be Indian Chief.
    [​IMG]

My sister gave me several lilies.
    [​IMG]

I have many more pass-alongs.

Don

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Don those peonies are scrumpous!

Guess my favorite pass alongs are my Chinese ground orchid, and early doubled daff. It's amazing how many of my plants come from other friends and acquaintances.

[​IMG]
    unknown daff/early bloomer ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Chinese Ground Orchid ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'd also venture to guess that at least half of every plant I have came from a friend or relative... or a Stewbie!
    I keep a small shovel in the back of my truck, just in case I'm visiting someone and they offer me something.
    "Oh that would be lovely! Wait... don't worry about going to look for a shovel, I have one right here!" :stew2:
    And I also try to pass along any extras I may have.

10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I have lots too. Ever notice how gardeners are very nice people? :-o

dooley, cherylad and Cayuga Morning like this.
  11. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

The majority of my plant kids are passalongs! I love everyone's stories and pictures of their special plants. It is truly one of the great pleasures of growing a garden.
    My daughter is beginning to grow her own garden and I love to share with her now too!

12. cherylad

Speaking of passalong plants, raise your hand if you refer to a certain plant by the name of the person that gave it to you? :wave:

13. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

I got my thornless blackberries as passalong plants 25 yrs ago at least. I have given away dozens of starts to other people in that time. The fellow who gave them to me is gone now, but his berries live on in lots of places. Rest in peace Dan. The world is just a little better place.

stratsmom and Jewell like this.
  14. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

My geraniums from Carolyn Keiper!

I planted three in this pot by the back gate. They are doing very well now. This picture was taken just after I planted them and they had been in a box from Wednesday to Saturday.

[​IMG]
    new geraniums ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

I have two more pots with two each. I gave one pot to the kid next door. He says he has a green thumb and they will grow for him. They are growing for me, too.
    dooley

15. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Cheryl, I smiled at your post. I have "Amy" Sweetspire, "Nancy" "Kate" and "Mary" Sweet Autumn Clematis, "Jackie" the Boxwood, "Becker" the Weigela, "David" Burning Bush, "Virginia" Hosta... and the list goes on and on.....
    I am hoping my friends have named some of their plants "Kay" ;)

16. cherylad

So nice to know that I'm not the only one. I was asking my brother the other day if he wanted some Uncle Frank seedlings? He looked at me like I was nuts. Then I reminded him of our uncle's favorite... the white dinner plate hibiscus. :stew2: