Passalong plants

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by marlingardener, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I have gotten passalongs from my GardenStew friends.

I got 2 clematis, BeeBalm, daylilies, dwarf iris, ferns, helebores and countless othe rplants from Jewel.
    The 2 forsythias I have were starts from a gardenstew plant 3 years back. They are blooming and lovely.
    My favorite is the Hollyhock sent to me 3 years back by a GardenStew friend.
    I have a friend from work who gave me 2 hostas and a hardy cyclamen.
    Got a few sedums from my neighbor and this year brought some hydrangew cuttings from the neighbor's yard too.
    I love passalongs and have given tons of seeds to who over asked me for it.
    I am sure I forgot a lot more - but everytime I look at a bloom or enjoy a plant, I do remmeber the kind soul who passed it along to me.

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I normally don't do trades, if I have seeds that I will not be using I just send them out.

Passalong seeds....Texas Star Hibiscus that are growing great from Cheryl and some other seeds from her that I haven't gotten started yet...Morning Glory seeds that have been started all over the yard this year from thepondlady and some seeds from Jerry that will be planted this month to see what they are.

Cheryl send me divisions from her Aptenia cordifolia (Heartleaf Iceplant, Baby Sunrose) that is really taking off....that is what the squirrel left in the pot for me to keep.
    [​IMG]
    Heartleaf Iceplant, Baby Sunrose ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

and a chunk of the ferns she thinned out this spring.
    [​IMG]
    Cheryl's fern ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    More of Cheryl's fern ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Also, year before last some Creeping Charlie
    [​IMG]
    Creeping Charlie ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

So happy to see all the grandplants looking so healthy!

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Actually Cheryl, the Creeping Charlie didn't make it through last summer. I had it in shade where I could remember to water and it just didn't like the heat I guess. If you thin out your planting again, I would appreciate another clump ;)

The ferns are not in the baskets I envisioned them in but I like the look and besides those baskets won't hold up forever so it gives me more time to find just the perfect one for them.

Advertisement
  5. cherylad

I'm making myself a note right now Toni to send you some of Creeping Charlie. And like the baskets the ferns are in. Mine have started to escape from their basket. I guess they like where they are.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, what kind if ferns are those that you sent to Toni?

7. cherylad

Carolyn... I have no clue. They came from one of my aunts.
    It puts on a fragrant white flower. I've been waiting on my mine to flower so I could get it ID'd.

8. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

stratsmon you're right ,,and me I have lots too and the gardeners are very nice people :-D :-D :-D

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My passalong collection grew last night. A neighbor down the road called, and asked if I'd like some of the extras from her garden. I came home with day lilies, a start of lemon balm, and a bunch of spearmint. Today I'm going to a friend's garden to get some old-fashioned petunias (perennials, yet!) and bachelor buttons.
    I love this passalong tradition!

10. Annette

Annette Seedling

i always have such guilt when i can't find a home for plants i have divided!...i have received black eyed susans (love them), alliums, baptisia and many more. i have given away countless pieces of sea holly, soapwort, sedum even daisies and numerous others as well. what a great thing we gardeners do for each other!!!!! :stew2:

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  11. cherylad

A co-worker gave me a bunch of Red Ginger yesterday. Too many for me, so I'm passing some along to my sis-in-law and my niece.

12. cherylad

And speaking of pass-alongs... Donna S sent me some marigold seeds.... Crackerjack Orange. Her description said they would get 2-3 feet tall. I'd never seen marigolds that tall... and orange is my favorite color. So I started some indoors in January. Look at what I have now!!

[​IMG]
    Marigold Crackerjack Orange ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Marigold Crackerjack - 3 ft tall! ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And yes... the tallest one right now is just a bit OVER 3 feet tall!
    Thanks Donna S! :stew2:

Frank likes this.
  13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have several friends who pass plants to me, and I give plants to everybody. Seriously, I try to press a division on anyone who comes to the house. Well I exagerate a little but not much. I hate throwing good plants on the compost heap. I also have passalong plants that have never been truly passed to me, but are growing down the street, and seedlings find their way to my yard. I have gotten several red japanese maples this way, several red bud seedlings, lunaria & dames rocket. Probably others that I can't think of just now. Philip Nulty has also given me some Brugamansia seeds that are now 1" seedlings (!!). I have extra seeds of them that I hope to pass to a friend, if my seedlings make it.

I have also noticed that some of the perennials that were growing in my garden when we bought the property 15 years ago are also growing in neighbors' yards. Clearly other folks have been passing plants back & forth before we ever moved here.

14. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

my angel trumpet is a pass along and it is growing so good and I love it I got it from a very nice stewbie here but am not good with names can't wait to see it flower and be able to take more cuttings from it

15. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Speaking of passalongs, I have a friend who has just moved into a new house, one without much landscaping. She is coming over on Monday for divisions and seedlings of perennials.