Pear tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by whistler, Sep 2, 2013.

1. whistler

whistler Seedling

5 or 6 years ago I bought a pear tree from Home Depot along with a few other fruit trees. All the others (apple and cherry) doing fine producing fruit except for this one pear tree. Its growing well, lots of greenery, lots of blooms in the spring. Getting height. Its watered regularly and gets fruit spikes. Doesn't produce any pears. Nursery staff (independent not Home Depot) says it needs to be pollinated by another pear tree and said there has to be another pear tree within 3 miles I think. The closest pear tree is down the street and undoubtedly there are other pear trees within this range. Tonight I was near the pear tree and looking at it and noticed I have one fruit growing on it after all these years! The odd thing is it looks more like an Asian pear to me. I do have an Asian pear tree and this one fruit is darker in color than my other Asian pears and is definitely not pear shaped. Does anyone know if Asian pears have varieties that are darker, like tan or brown? The tag that came with the tree when we bought it just said pear with a picture of a normal looking pear, looks like a regular Barlett pear but that's not what's hanging on the tree. We're just so amazed with this one piece of fruit after all these years but its not what we expected to see.

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

When you bought it, was it in a pot or a root ball covered in plastic? If it was in a pot, I'm thinking there was a lost label and the store lost it and just made a new one to sell it.

4. ellaloo

ellaloo Seedling

i think the species of the pear tree is not the point, finally it's producing pear, right.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Can you post a pic of the pear tree and the pear if possible. I have a similar situation with one bought at Lowes !! Typically pear trees are slow to produce even one or two which mine is doing now. But they can live 50 to 75 years or longer. The one I bought was listed as a bartlet pear.