Perception

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It looks like this rain and nasty weather is just not going to stop. There’s only one thing for it—take a little trip. A typical rainy day thing to do is to go to the cinema. There is a place called “the Omniversum”, located kilometres and kilometres away to the south of our country...down in Den Haag (The Hague).

This theatre is like an IMAX place—you know, the cinema that makes you go all weak in the knees when they show film segments shot from an ultra light. It flies right over the rim of say, the Grand Canyon and suddenly the floor of the canyon is hundreds of meters downwards. –Gulp.

Well, the film WAS indeed about National Parks in America. The breathtaking vistas and the remarkable beauty of the landscapes were just fantastic to see.

Afterwards, we went to an old palace of Queen Emma to see the M.C. Escher collection. It is a museum of his work. If you want to read about him his official website has a short bio and more of his graphic work.

http://www.mcescher.com/about/biography/

He was known for his lithographs as well as his wood block and linoleum prints and other forms. The most interesting to me were his focusing on perspective and so-called impossible constructions and of course, the transformations (metamorphosis).

Enough chatter—now for some examples. My favourite:

q.jpg
    Waterfall

A bit of detail. Can you see how the water seems to run uphill after the waterfall falls downwards?:

Qa.jpg
    Waterfall (detail)

This one shows his perspective as well as the impossible walking of the people going uphill, yet seemingly walking a level trajectory at the same time.
    q02.jpg
    Ascending and Descending

This one is another well known one. In the museum, there was a stool with a shiny ball suspended from the ceiling. This, so that you could take a selfie of yourself doing what Escher was doing in his print.
    q03.jpg
    Hand With Reflecting Sphere

Another of the very famous ones:
    q07.jpg
    Drawing Hands

This now leads us into another group of his processional prints that sometimes intertwine in the most unusual way. Sometimes one must look at the prints for awhile to see the subtle change.
    q08.jpg
    Horseman

He kept careful notations in journals. Here is a page that they have on display. Escher travelled extensively and got some ideas from the mosaics in the Alhambra Palaces in Granada Spain.
    q01.jpg
    A journal page.

q09.jpg
    Knots

Similar to “The Drawing Hands” and “The Horseman”, there are processional subjects depicted.
    q05.jpg
    Encounter

Escher frequently uses reflections in his prints to compound the complexity of his work and the perception of the eye.
    q04.jpg
    Magic Mirror

Look carefully at this one—in the middle of the print, there is a horizontal mirror, so that you can perceive the procession passing through the mirror as well as being reflected in it.

I like his playfulness when he lets his metamorphosing subjects come off the page as drawings, turn into creatures that scramble over the desk objects... then creep back into the drawings.
    q06.jpg
    Reptiles

A transitional one, also demonstrating perspective.
    q10a.jpg
    Night and Day

q11.jpg
    Metamorphosis ll

This transitional print is very long and features the development of bees from eggs as well as forms that become birds and so forth.

A view of another Metamorphosis print mounted on a drum and other prints presented on the wall to the left and behind it.
    q12.jpg

Well, it has been a perhaps boring presentation, but I assure you it scratched the surface of what is to see in the museum.

See you next trip.

Pacnorwest, Kay, Droopy and 5 others like this.
  2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

wow. That is way cool. I have never gone to an art museum. this looks like a place I would find interesting to actually pay to look at the pieces. Thanks for sharing. I am glad you had some yucky weather to want to make a trip away from the lottie.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have a couple of books of Escher's prints....just fantastic to see some of his work.
    I think I have seen that film, or at least one like it, really doesn't help someone afraid of heights.:eek:

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I remember seeing a few of these when I was young and they have always stayed with me. The first time I saw something similar was in the movie Labyrinth where the goblin king's castle was a maze of twisted perspective corridors and stairs. So cool!
    Thanks for the unexpected museum trip Sjoerd.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am so happy that you liked this posting, CAROLYN-- I have to take my opportunities to get away when I can because before long, germination period will begin and I will be forced to stay in the city most of the time. I always look forward to folks coming to visit during the summer because it gives me an excuse to take a break. hahaha.

I am surprised that you have books depicting Escher's work, TONI--Good onya. You are right about that film not being good for someone with a fear of heights...Even I sat with curled toes a time or two. chuckle.

You are welcome. FRANK--I am somehow not surprised that you have seen some of his work, being a European...still, there are plenty of folks that have never heard of him. It is such a pleasure to sit quietly and study one of his engravings. When you think of the complexity and how many levels of perspective he uses, you just wonder.....how??

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Escher's works are very popular especially Ascending and Descending, it seems to hold a great fascination for many people. I get a headache trying to follow those fellows around the roof.
    When I was making quilts several years ago, there would almost always be at least one quilt at shows and competitions that looked like Escher might have made it.

You might be surprised at the eclectic selection of books and interests in this house.:D

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Aha! The name Escher rang a bell, but I couldn't quite place it until I saw the water mill. I am familiar with his work and have admired it lots of times. I would have loved to be in that museum with you. Absolutely fantastic! I need to check out a few online book shops now. Maybe I can find a book or two. We're like toni, we have a very varied book collection.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya TONI--I had no idea that Escher was known there. That is great news. Interesting that some folks male quilts that resemble his work. I would be interested to see what sorts of books you have there. You are right about that.

DROOPY--Yeah, I wish that you had been with us as well. Next time you come here, we should all go together. I'll bet your daughter would be interested. She already has a talent. If you cannot find a book there, let me know.

9. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

This was just a great thing to see! Love it! It has been a long time, like maybe the 70s that I looked at Escher's work. I think I had a friend with a book or something, way back then. We used to just stare at those pictures. His work is amazing!

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Just a fun little clip using Escher's art.

Sjoerd and Kay like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

KAY--I am so delighted that you know of Escher. Not many folks outside of Europe do. I think that it was pretty cool that you and a girlfriend were so interested when you were student-age. Thanks for your comment.

Brilliant BEEKER! I did not know about this film. The scene was cleverly done, wasn't it. Fascinating. Thank you for posting this special vid.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  12. Kay

Sjoerd- It's funny, just the other day, I was at a friend's house and saw that they have an Escher print on the wall. It is the building; Ascending and Decending. Cool

13. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I love Escher's work. My kids too. When they were younger we had a coffee table book that we'd pull out frequently, just to marvel at his work.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Amazing Kay and Ronni, I somehow did not expect Escher to be well known in Nashville area. It is cool that you had a book that your kids could look at when they were young.

15. Kay

Ronni- That is probably the same book my friend had, Pretty cool.

Sjoerd likes this.