Peter’s Hare-Brained Disguise Idea

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Sjoerd, Apr 1, 2023.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Banana slugs? Yuck!!!
    Since they are slugs, does mulching plants with diatomaceous earth, or broken egg shells, or broken nut shells deter them? Usually any mulch that contains something sharp will cut them and then you have to dispose of those ugly carcasses.

Sjoerd, eileen and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Ok yes I use DE in dry months and sluggo-not harmful to pets, kids etc. it rains so much here almost 200” in the coastal PNW it doesn’t help . So the best solution in wet rainy weather is to carry a bucket of soapy water and a flashlight, go out slug hunting at night.

Logan, Sjoerd and eileen like this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Of course I have heard of chupacabras, but I had no idea what they looked like.

Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Alas the banana slug is endangered because of other invasive species and native habitats disappearing. Usually they stick to the rainforests. But what a plethora of other giants. Garden decimators one and all.
    We have such a large number of slimy garden critters here’s a few varieties
    https://agsci.oregonstate.edu/slug-portal/identification/common-species

interesting fact I learned taking a local class: banana slugs are more curious than their cousins and will stretch out to look at you. If you lick the foot of a slug your tongue will go numb. Seems slugs were used in some medical circumstances because of this affect on humans by indigenous peoples. The banana slug had several stories about it and could be a personal totem.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    Pacnorwest, eileen and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement