pH Testing

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Daniel W, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

It is not. Looks like the results on that last one are inert for some reason. A null result is also a valid result. pH related probably. Did you use distilled or tap water and are you on a well if so?

I ask because distilled water or pure rain water is a pH of 6 where tap is nuetral 7 so it does not eat the metal pipe parts by being acidic. Each decimal after the pH number is 10. They call it logarithmic. Those tests are rather specific.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  2. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Dirtmechanic, thanks for your wisdom!

I used distilled water. The instructions called for distilled water, so I assume the manufacturers calibrated their tests using that. My other thought is, the garden is watered with rainwater, so maybe that factors in somehow?

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I would think the test parameters would be discoverable or even published but danged if I can find them with my lame searching. It makes sense about the rain.

Daniel W likes this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Just for fun, here is distilled water vs. tap water. Our tap is well water that goes through a purifier and softener.

DC37C779-E682-466C-9A9C-6CD84BF71BBA.jpeg

My eyes are not that good. I think the chart looks almost the same for pH 5.5 vs. 6.5. Here the distilled looks like pH 5.5 and the tap looks more like 7.5 or even 8.5. I can't say for certain.

I'm glad I checked the soil. My soil is known to be calcium deficient, so I usually add lime or wood ashes. I don't wan't to make it alkaline. Based on this, I think what I have been doing is OK.

I also add about a half pound of eggshells to each bed every year.

Advertisement