Photo questions

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by Calomaar, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

I have 2 questions about the photos in "MY Garden";
    first, can I up load more than 1 photo at a time?
    And second, can I use the photos stored here the same as those in Photobucket, in other web sites etc.?
    Tom

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Good questions Tom

- At the moment it's not possible to upload more than one photo at a time. It's a pain I know but it's on the cards for the future so no need to worry.

- Yes you can use your photos here on other sites just like PhotoBucket. Just use the Forum Code listed on a photo's page if you are posting to another forum for example.

4. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

Thanks Frank
    Tom

5. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Hi Frank,

I'm still confused about this one. I know what the Photobucket code is to post photos into forums, but am unable to copy and paste it into the "Upload Photos from your computer" box in Plant Stew as it always browses through just the photos stored on my computer.

The problem I'm having is that the photos stored on my computer are too large in size, and if I want to upload any of them, I have to resize them. Is it possible for Plant Stew to resize photos automatically when they're uploaded?
    Thanks.

Advertisement
  6. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I usually resize any photos I want to upload to GardenStew Kasey and then put them in a separate folder on my computer.This is the website I use for resizing.

www.FastStone.org

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I think what you're trying to do is copy the PhotoBucket code into PlantStew so that the photo transfers over between the two sites? That's not possible at the moment, you must save the photo from PhotoBucket to your computer first and then upload the photo from your computer to PlantStew.

PlantStew does resize any photos uploaded provided that the photo uploaded is smaller than the current limit of 2700 pixels in width and 2200 pixels in height. If it's greater than that then the system currently is not able to resize something that large (it starts to feel the strain of working with larger images, requires a lot of computer memory). It's an inconvenience but I hope to be able to raise this limit (there will always be some limit though).

Hope this helps.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sometimes my photos are too large and I don't want to shrink them. When that happens, I make a copy of the photo and then re-size the copy with Microsoft photo editor to put into plant stew.

9. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

I never mess with original photos. I always make copies to a file in the computer, where I keep all the originals, and then copy again to a working file. In the working file I use Microsoft Office Picture manager. It is a program that was bundled in Microsoft Office. It works well to resize, crop and mess with colors, and brightness. If I do something that spoils the picture, I delete it, and recopy from the file where I stored the original. For resizing, the program offers 6 sizes; 1024 X 768 - 800 X 600 - 640 X 480 - 448 X 336 - 314 X 235 - and 160 X 160. My originals are in the area of 3872 X 2592, 3 to 4 MB in size. For posting on the web, and for E Mails, 640 X 480 seems to work the best. I always reduce the size as the last thing. I crop and work with the brightness on the full sized pictures first. I think that cropping and zooming produce a better picture if it is at its largest size. I'm not saying that's the best way, it's just the way I do it.
    Tom

10. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Thanks for all your response. Yes I know that I can resize them and store them in a separate folder, and I guess that I'll have to do that if I want to post in PlantStew, I haven't up til now.