Pictures of my garden past

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by AAnightowl, Apr 19, 2023.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

@Pacnorwest, asked about pictures from my garden. I have old pictures from years past. I have not gotten pictures from my phone into my computer lately. Maybe they will tide us over until other things are up and going this year. These are all from previous years. The pale pink rose of sharon I call Cotton Candy Pink... Those unusual irises (whitish at the bottom) do not bloom yearly, only when they want to. I had a time uploading them, I kept getting told my photos were "too big" when they were well under the size limit, and they are all jpg or jpeg.

Cotton Candy Pink Rose of Sharon 1.a.jpg Iris.small.JPG irises and dames rockets.JPG fancy irises.JPG

2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Your garden looks so lush and green, full of some of my fav flowers.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    AAnightowl likes this.
  4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

When we have dry spells in the summer it can get rather sorry looking.

I finally got here on my phone and will try to find some more pictures to share.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

the server cannot upload my file. internet here is very poor. I will try some alternate ideas later

Pacnorwest likes this.

Advertisement
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

tiger lilies in my yard.jpg Red Tulip.jpg pretty wildflowers.a.14.JPG Royal Purple Iris.jpg trumpet vines.JPG

Some of my tiger lilies up top, and some paper white narcissus with one of the few tulips that lived a few years. Some daylilies and wildflowers--they are not black eyed Susans, but something else. And one of my irises and some trumpet vine flowers. (The photo dates are not likely accurate, I never got around to setting times and dates on my cameras.)

I will have to post some of my phone pics on FB, and save them to my computer so I can share them here.

S-H, Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and 2 others like this.
  7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

path to my pond.a.JPG
    This is the path to my pond from a few summers ago. Not sure why, but I think I had mower troubles that summer, and it was not mowed. I was collecting greens for Horsey to eat. I keep a shovel handy for self defense if needed. Those are black eyed Susans in this picture. There is a lot of lespideza here which she loves too. This was in late summer also.

Banana Lilies 2.JPG

These are some yellow lilies I got at Walmart once. I lost the tag, so I do not know their "official" name. I just call them Banana lilies because the buds look like small bananas. If scientists can make up names, so can we.

S-H, Doghouse Riley, Odif and 2 others like this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

AAnightowl… beautiful daylily and a nice variety of flowers in your garden. Looks lush and inviting.:smt041

AAnightowl likes this.
  9. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I will try AGAIN. I tried to upload a picture of one of my favorite rose bushes. Our internet was a mess last evening, and the photo just would not upload...

It was supposed to be a long stemmed red rose like you get at the florist's. It was not. It is a pretty little climbing rosa Walmart.JPG rosa Walmart 2.JPG burgundy tea rose. Since I never knew its correct name, I called it Rosa Walmart, because I bought it at Walmart in the 1990s. It did very well until May 4, 2020 when we had a small tornado here that took out an old elm tree and landed it between my bedroom and the well house quite nicely, but on top of this rose bush. It tried to recover, but did not make it through this past winter. A few years back, I somehow got another rose bush of the same kind at Walmart. It also took a direct hit from an old 55' tall elm in May of 2011 [When we had all of the flooding here in Missouri]. I have a picture of it here someplace, and will post it when I find it. It is planted along the fence to my veggie garden.

I found lots of other flower pictures to share here and there.

S-H, Jewell, Odif and 1 other person like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Nice climbing rose and I really like that color so vivid against the background green. And I see some peon’s too, so beautiful… your garden is a beautiful display of beauty luv and variety.
    Sorry to hear of the flooding and downed tree . The weather can be a problem for gardens. Especially lately .

AAnightowl likes this.
  11. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

It did not flood at my house, I am on top of a hill. But we had about 23 inches of rain in two weeks, and another 2 or 3 inches on top of that the third week. [May, 2017] Missouri had major flooding from so much rain at once. A town near me was under 3 to 4 feet of water in many places. DS's work was under 4 feet of water and that factory had just bought new machines shortly before that. He was out of work over a month until the water went down and they could clean up the mess. Cars were floating all over. It was called "historic flooding" ? The detour from my town to this town was 100 miles out of the way, and it is normally 25 miles. I think our average annual rainfall is about 36 inches or so, and we had about 25 of that all at once. We also had drought for several months that year with no rainfall at all. The weather can be quite fickle at times. Missouri can get bone dry quickly because of the underground rock formations called karst. I have heard an old saying here, "Missouri is only 2 weeks away from the next drought."

The ground was so water logged at the time, that my tree just toppled. I was going to post pictures of the downed elm, but it has been two days and it has not uploaded yet.

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

climbing burgundy tea rose 2.jpg

this is my 2d climbing burgundy tea rose back before 2017. It has not yet regained its size, but it is blooming.

S-H, Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have been trying and trying to upload another photo, and it is less than the 4.9 MB allowed, but I keep getting error messages that it is "too large for the server to process"... :(

14. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I planted some of the young fairy roses along this fence line also. I thought they would look pretty all mixed up.

I planted a few of them where my old burgundy tea rose had been also.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  15. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I finally got a photo of my bald cypress at my pond this afternoon. I am trying to put it on FB, so I can save it in my computer so it won't be too large. I am not sure which thread it is supposed to go in any more, so will put it here.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  16. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

it won't bring up the upload image box.... ?