Pink Grapefruit Seed

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Mrs. Galeassi, May 15, 2013.

1. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Hey Stewbies,

So I grew up with a pink grapefruit tree in my backyard, I climbed it daily and ate from if daily. I loved that tree. Sadly it got sick and stopped producing when I was a teenager and eventually was removed...... Now I still love my pink grapefruit with a lil sugar sprinkled on top of course. And the other day one of the seeds looked odd, had some roots slightly protruding from it.... I was like huh wonder if I can get it to grow. I honestly think that about everything nowadays. But just the thought of being able to grow something that makes me feel like a kid again is exciting! So I popped that seed in a glass of water not honestly thinking it would do anything. Well this morning I took a look and the seed was split a little more and there was a little greenery protruding from it. Wow I'm so happy and excited. I just stuck that lil dude in a small pot and we will see what happens. But any information that you may have would br greatly appreciated...... I would of added a photo if my stupid smart phone wasn't being a pain! :)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Netty
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That's exciting. I sure hope it grows well for you.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Once it really begins to grow I'm sure we'd all love to see some photographs of it. Good luck with your new 'baby.'

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Good luck. I hope this grows for you and eventually produces a fruit or two for you.

Advertisement
  6. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Hey ladies, I just ventured out and found that the grapefruit seed has just started sprouting out of the soil.... I will post pic when it gets out and errect.... :) Yay so happy, thought id share .... Have a great day :)

7. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Not meaning to discourage you, Mrs. G, but if you want the pleasure of eating Grapefruit (any citrus for that matter) from your own tree, I highly recommend that you shop in/at some local nurseries for a/some tree/s of whatever variety it is that you want and get as old of a plant as you can afford...
    There are two good reasons for this:
    #1, a grafted plant that is already a couple years old will bear fruit for you within a year or two, where as your tree from seed will require seven to twelve years to bear fruit;
    #2, as most citrus are cross breeds / hybrids, their seeds will tend to revert to one or some unknown mix of the crosses used to create the particular cultivar that the seed came from..
    Don't throw away your new seedling, though, as it will be an interesting experiment and you will have good warm affection for it for as long as it thrives...
    Most kindly meant notes, , , Hank

8. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Thanks Hank, I wish I could get an established grapefruit tree. But we rent currently. Eventually we will buy a house and id love to get one then. Not sure what's going to happen to this seed but I do have lots of fun seeing what I can get to grow. I wouldn't even know what to do if I got the thing to take off. Haha I guess find it a home unless he stayed small enough to tote around in a pot. Have a nice day and thank you for your kind notes, Laura

9. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Well here is the lil guy now.

[​IMG]
    Grapefruit seed sprout 5/27 ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

I don't know if he's going to make it. His growth slowed down and he looks so odd shaped. Maybe I'm just a weirdo who knows! Haha :)

Frank likes this.
  10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hey... sometimes you just have to give it a try! I have my :fingerscrossed: for you.

Mrs. Galeassi likes this.