Planning a waterfall- help

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Danjensen, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Hi all,

Moved into a new house this year and when the snow melted found we had a large Pond with it.

I purchased a good size pump to help aerate it to keep it healthy. But want to make a feature of it.

2 questions.

Can anyone recommend a good way to plan a waterfall? or point me to a place that has the basics already.

I have a reed bed in the pond for about half of it. I want to remove it as one it looks ugly and two is a home to mosquitos. What is the best way or time of year to remove it. Tried this year but the root bed is 2ft thick :(

thanks for the help guys

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

5. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Thanks Guys

any idea on the reed bed or do i just send the wife to do it in the spring?

Advertisement
  6. jeri11

jeri11 New Seed

Is it a natural pond? How big is the pond? What are you thinking of as far as the waterfall goes?

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I would be all for the retention of the reeds Jeri as they are great for oxygenating your pond and keeping it clear of toxins but if they are causing a problem they may have to go.

Firstly when hand pulling wear a pair of strong gloves otherwise your hands will be cut to threads.
    Even though it is hard work, hand pulling is quite effective if repeated annually for several years
    The best time to carry this out hand pulling is at end of July/early August to weaken the plants.

No matter whether you pull the reeds or cut them, you must remove all the floating reed debris as you go.

A follow on method, which is very effective in reed reduction, is after cutting or pulling the reeds, place a sheet of black plastic over the cut area, weighed down by using rocks and rope.
    If the area receives good sunlight, the high temperatures beneath the plastic will help kill off the re-emerging plants.
    The plastic can then be removed the following spring. If a few reeds return, these can easily be pulled.