**Plant ID, Please - Pink drooping flowers

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Biita, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Hello all, I have 2 more plants that I don't know what to call. I don't even know the common names so I can't look them up in Norwegian. Help! Please!

The first one hasn't bloomed yet, but maybe someone can tell me what it is.
    [​IMG]

These 2 pics are the same plants but the second one you can see the leaves better.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help!

2. Loading...

3. Quietly Awesome

Quietly Awesome Seedling

FUDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm haveing a brain fart! :scheming: The first one is a Lily of some sort. Cant think of the name!!! Argggggggg!!! :oops:

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

The leaves of the second one looks like a hollyhock.But the bloom doesn't.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

You've got Martagon lilies! :D (PS: Martagon Lily) Oh, I hoped you would, most old gardens do. They're lovely, and so hardy too. The last one is a Saxifraga, also very common in old gardens. It's good at spreading out and is a great ground cover underneath lilacs for instance.

Advertisement
  6. Biita

Thank you,, the lilys, there is a bunch of them just spread out all over the garden area. Nothing is in single groups, all the different flowers are just everywhere,,lol..if that makes sense. The little pink flower is as big as it gets, and it is spreading since i been trying to keep up with the growth all around it. It is near a lilac, the light almost white lilac tree, but not underneath it... that would be pretty. How can i move this saxifraga, because its spreading out into the grass area and my husband keeps mowing it down,,,lol. Most of it is in a rock area tho, so its safe.

7. Droopy

Yes, you make sense. They can self-seed, and if the dirt was moved, the bulbs or scales could have followed in there.

The Saxifraga is easy to move. Stick a shovel some cms underneath it, lift the shovel a bit to loosen the soil, pick the rosettes out and put it where you want it.

8. Biita

Thanks Droopy, I'll give that a try when everything is done flowering,, the saxifraga that is.

9. catspower

catspower Seedling

OMG I would love to have some of your Martagon lilies! I am a lily freak. Lilies and Daffodils are my favorite plants. I have tons of plants and shrubs to trade, or I will pay for them and the shipping. Just let me know.
    Cathy

10. Droopy

Are we Norwegians allowed to ship bulbs to the USA? The regulations are so strict these days I just don't know. However I do know that Martagon lily bulbs are readily available per mail order from several US nurseries.

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

For U.S. residents buying the bulbs or seeds in the U.S. appears to be so much easier than getting them from someone in another country. And cheaper in the long run if you try to sneak them in and get caught and fined.

The USDA website about importing plants, plant materials, seeds and bulbs into the the U.S. has more detailed info.
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/ ... sery.shtml

This is a quick synopsis......

Dormant bulbs, do not need a permit to come into the U.S....as long as all soil, above ground vegetation and fleshy roots have been removed and you are shipping fewer than 13.
    The package must be clearly labeled that it contains plant bulb(s)
    They will be inspected and if necessary, treated for pests.
    While most bulbs do not require permits for entry, there are some that do and there are some countries from which bulbs are prohibited.

The importing of Seeds, on the other hand, is more restricted. Small lots of seeds do not require a Phytosanitary Certificate but do require an entry permit.
    Requirements for seeds....
    Labeled with name of sender, country of origin, scientific name at least to genus, preferably to species.
    No more than 50 seeds to a packet, no more than 50 packets to a shipment.
    No pesticides, soil or pulp on seeds.
    Securely packed to prevent spillage.

12. Biita

Thanks Toni,, i tried to send seeds twice to the US, and both times the post man returned them to me. I guess i had more than 50 seeds. He told me to try to send another way than i did, but it came back also. So I will say this now,, and not to be rude,, please don't think that anyone, but for trading or shipping to the US or outside of any Scandinavian country, I just won't do it. Its not worth the hassel with the postman who has a temper,,,lol.

But thank you for all the kind comments on the lilies,, i'm not a real lily fan, sorry to say, but i do remember it from last yr, and it is nice to look at..I will post a pic when it blooms fully.

13. Droopy

Thank you Toni for providing both links and synopsis, I'm especially glad you did the synopsis. I don't like reading government documents in Norwegian, and I shouldn't think USA ones are easier.