Plant Sunshine

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, May 28, 2023.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Only 55F today. If it makes the 70 degree mark it will be for 5 seconds before 5’oclock and then the temperature will drop. No sunshine for today so flowers are providing warmth.

A small potted grocery store rose from last summer that is looking like a full sized, big bloom rose. Will have to think about the perfect place to plant it:confused: Not what I was planning.
    IMG_7521.jpeg

I tucked a small piece of day lily tuber into a pot with a rosemary plant and it was my early blooming yellow day lily.
    IMG_7522.jpeg

I got several of these primroses from the clearance section at Lowe’s. I recognized them as being a heritage variety that I have in cream. The best and prettiest primrose (to me). Now I have for different colors. If watered regularly they can be in almost perpetual bloom during the summer.
    IMG_7524.jpeg

And just because I like this variegated lewisia and it’s blooming. A dappled sunshine :scheming:
    IMG_7525.jpeg

Cayuga Morning, Netty, Odif and 6 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Jewell lovely collection of yellow flowers. Just make a nice bright statement.

Jewell likes this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Such brilliant yellow! Floral sunshine!

Jewell likes this.
  5. Jewell

Today we got real sun sunshine by 2 PM. The maritime influence has been keeping me in wool socks and a fleece lined flannel shirt most of the day. o_O

Pacnorwest likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

IMG_8924.jpeg Jewell same maritime weather here the past few days. The sun is out this afternoon. Found some more peony’s and amaryllis bloomin.. the last peony bloom had a deer bite right out of one side. I’ll post more pics later.
    Hope that deer got a belly ache…all that sweet nectar attracted the deer. I never had a deer take a bite of any of my peony’s before. I bet it was the twins running around with mom they have eaten most flower buds so far. I wish they would eat the darn ivy I planted years ago. I’m still pulling it up. Maybe I ought to open the gate by the ivy and block off the rest of the garden.. invite them to a feast with a few extra goodies. they generally get in the ivy anyway…kind of a natural control group thing.
    I had to fence off the pastures due to tansey , they will attract larvae that eats the plant down in a day or two. The poison oak- has no predators. Sprayed them yesterday. Used the 16 gallon sprayer hooked up to battery. Can’t let the horses eat any…I worry about them more that any other pets.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is a remarkable story, Pac. The pic of the munch-able peony— was a really good pic. A pic with a story.

Pacnorwest and Cayuga Morning like this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jewell, I didn't know you could keep primroses in bloom with enough water! Do you need to sheer off the old blooms?

Jewell, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sojoerd I was so surprised years of growing peony’s that was the first time a deer took a bite. Only a bite not the whole flower. Reminds me if it was a baby deer learned that flower tasted gross..none of the other peony’s had any signs of a deer munching. Lesson learned…

Jewell, Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  10. Jewell

@Cayuga Morning I do deadhead. Some varieties are more willing than others.

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Jewell Once it warms up mine are toast. Usually the slugs get the flowers. But they never re-bud. I had the blue prims in the garden for years. Others didn’t last. Your yellows are a ray of sunshine, well done.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thanks Jewell. I'll arm myself with a pair of scissors & try it.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.