Planting a Lawn...wrong time of year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by dumbfungus, Sep 2, 2005.

1. dumbfungus

dumbfungus New Seed

Is there a "wrong" time of year to plant a lawn? Last year we put down turf, which I thought was really the way to go until the Raccoons started showing up each night to lift the turf squares up and look for worms. Once I was able to deter them from visiting ( I used an all natural barrier spray) for snacks, the thing turned out great.

However, this spring we had a cedar fence put in. The work was done by my girlfriend's boss' Son In Law who had every excuse in the book for not starting the project, until the rainiest day of the year...(you've probably figured out where this is going by now).

When these clowns were done it looked like we had some sort of truck pull in our back yard - it was a mess. I was livid, but my GF convinced me not to say anything (yes I am whipped), and for the most part after about a month went by the yard didn't look too bad, except for one patch about 3 feet x 3 feet.

I thought maybe that would fill in like the rest of the spots did, but it is probably too big, and it is in a heavy traffic area, so I don't think that's gonna happen.

My question is (finally), is it too late, too early, or just the right time of the year to throw some seed down, or maybe even a chunk of turf?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this is a redundant post.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi dumbfungus (great name :)) and welcome to our growing forums.

Well first of all sorry to hear about the terrible job that those guys did. What clowns!

Secondly I would like to mention that now is indeed the perfect time to seed your lawn as the warm soil will speed up germination. Once you have scattered the seed use a roller or walk on carefully to ensure that the seed is about 1cm below the soil. Then make sure to keep the soil moist for 3-5 weeks by lightly watering and avoid walking on it. Also do not cut it until it is 7cm high so that it is given a good chance to establish itself.

Are the patches completely bare or have they some growth?

4. dumbfungus

dumbfungus New Seed

Thank You Frank

Frank,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. Most of the patches are not completely bare, just one but it isn't too large so I think I can salvage it.

I will go get the seed tomorrow and get at it before it starts to cool off too much.

Again, I really appreciate it...I'll be making good use of this forum it is a great source of info.

Thanks.

5. jbiasi

jbiasi New Seed

I personally have only tried to plant a lawn during the spring, but from what I was told by the landscaping guy I deal with, as long as it is above freezing at night, and the days are around 60 degrees or higher, you can grow a lawn pretty much whenever you want. Of course, at the height of summer, that can be more difficult with the heat, but you can get around that with frequent watering.

Advertisement
  6. gardenplansireland

gardenplansireland Seedling

7. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I would use some of the patch products that they have out. It has a bluish green substance in with the seed and it acts to help mold the patch to the ground and also has fertilizer in it. Scotts sells it as do other brand name suppliers. All you have to do is keep it watered.