Planting My Beans--A Window Of Opportunity

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, May 30, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is correct, Bunkie...they have a very long tap root. I am not actually sure that the beneficial minerals come from deep though--they are usually located closer to the surface. They go go deep for water, though.
    I am hoping to get that first batch of comfry harvested for tom mulch.
    I sometimes combine comfrey with nettles to make the feeding teas. I gave the toms the first feeding of the nettle tea this morning.
    I am really getting in the swing of things here now.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  2. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Comfrey can also be used as a compress for those sore muscles, Sjoerd. I had a plant in a flower bed and had a dickens of a time ridding myself of it. It now grows low on the creek bank.
    Sjoerd, I must tell you how much I admire your tenacity. To load all you need on a bicycle and tarvel ? how many times a day? I should ask, how many times a week? My garden is just steps away and I have to summon up the will power to do what needs to be doen. I love gardening, but the mosquito population, the hot sun, the humidity, make it more of a chore.
    Your beans are so neat and beautiful. All the pictures are very good.
    I found you on the map, but I'm not sure, is Friesland part of Germany?
    I am not on the map, but sending the information seems daunting to me.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes GP-- I have read of the several other uses for comfrey when I was researching its use as a fertilazes. I only use it for fertilizer though. I can harvest each plant about 5-6 times a year.
    Getting rid of those plants id a daunting task under the best of conditions..that's why it's best to make one's bed in an out of the way place that has no other use. One only has to leaves a small snippet of toot and it will re-generate another plant from it.

As for bike travel--well, I visit the gardens at least once a day, unless it is pouring rain...but what varies is the amount of time that I spend in the gardens--some days I have very little time and other days I spend up to 10 hours or more (in the summer).
    Oh I should say that on the extremely hot days I go in the erly morning and then retire for a siesta during the heat of the day and then return in the afternoon and stay until well after dark.

Friesland consists out of three parts--East-Friesland, West-Friesland and Friesland proper. The majority of East-Friesland in in Germany.

4. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Wow! I'm learning a lot, here. I had to again look up; this time the coots and moorhens. At least this time I found information about them. Your teepee does look nice, I've made them before, but it's been quite a while. It was cool enough here to snow for the last three days. It didn't stick but it was there. I did get my strawberries planted it their pots, before the snow flurries came.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Willow, I hope that your weather warms-up soon.