Playhouse dweller **OMG There's more!!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Ronni, Mar 25, 2017.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They really are growing fast aren't they? Before we know it the nest will be empty and the little ones will be coping with being out in the big, wide world and learning to look after themselves.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Such nice foto's to see, Ronni.
    It will be fun to watch their progress from week to week. Interesting colours that the straw of the nest has. What's causing that?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  3. Paige

Paige New Seed

The colors are caused by the sun being filtered through the plastic playhouse, which is brown and blue with a red roof.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Paige.
    It is an interesting effect along with the colour of the robin's eggs.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Day 5. Lookit those itty bitty feathers growing on their wings!!! 17951512_10156117225084408_1340267829024246706_n.jpg

2ofus, Frank, eileen and 1 other person like this.
  6. eileen

They certainly all look really healthy. The parents are doing a great job keeping them all happy and well fed. Before you know it they'll be off into the garden. Paige will still be able to keep an eye on them for a bit longer though as the adult birds will continue to feed them for a while after they've left 'home.'

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

From Paige:

I didn't get a day 8 baby robin photo, and may not get to keep up with daily photos at all anymore. Mom and dad robin went from being relaxed and watchful when we were outside, to chirping angrily and swooping over my head whenever I get within a few feet of the playhouse! I guess the closer the babies get to fledging, the more that mom and dad are trying to keep the coast clear for them. Thankfully it won't be long before they're old enough to leave the nest, and we can have our playhouse back. Just have to figure out how to water my plants or let the kids play out there without getting dive bombed!

eileen likes this.
  8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

We left for our Disney beach vacation before we got to see the baby robins fledge. Paige was kind of sad about that, but still, happy that she helped provide a safe environment for the babies hatch and grow. She figured that was that.

But then!!!!! <drumroll please>!
    IMG_8319.JPG

She's laying a whole new clutch!!! Here's what Paige had to say when about how she discovered it!

You guys. YOU GUYS.

YOU. GUYS!!!!!!

Okay, I was outside for the first time in a few days.. with all the rain, we haven't been playing or watering the plants out there, so I just went to check on the garden and see how things were growing. Suddenly, mom and dad Robin (PLUS one of the babies, I might add, though it's almost as big as its parents now!) showed up on the fence. Okay, cool, hey guys! But no. This time, they were making a familiar noise.

"CHIRP. CHIRP! CHIRPCHIRPCHIRP!!! :mad:"

This is a noise that clearly says "Intruder! Go away!" And I became familiar with it from when they had babies in the nest. I thought hmm, that's weird they are still being protective of this area. Started to walk inside. Then had a hunch, and thought surely not...

EGGS!! They came BACK to the SAME NEST to lay their next clutch! From what I've read, this is unusual for robins. It seems like they just REALLY like our playhouse, and that makes me so happy and emotional that William says the cheese has slipped off the cracker but I DONT EVEN CARE!!! :crying::like::stew1::heart:

Frank likes this.
  9. eileen

Our robins use the same nest when they have a second, or even third, brood Paige. It's good to know that your parent birds feel confident enough to use the same nest again too. You might get a chance to see this brood fledge - fingers crossed. Be proud that you've increased the number of young robins in your area, and their chances of survival, by allowing them to use the playhouse.