Please help me kill this weed!

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by mikedickbek, Mar 31, 2007.

1. mikedickbek

mikedickbek New Seed

Hi, I've recently grown a nice little lawn, but now there are tons of weeds growing.
    Here is a pic of the main problem weed after I pulled it out:
    [​IMG]
    Pic of roots:
    [​IMG]
    And finally a picture of one of them still in the ground:
    [​IMG]
    I pull them out by the roots constantly, but the next day, there are 20 or so more to replace them. Does anyone know what this weed is, and how I can get rid of them easier than pulling them out everyday?
    Thanks a lot,
    Mike

2. Loading...

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Hi Mike, :smt039
    Just wondering if you've ever seen your weed bloom?
    It reminds me of Setaria glauca ("Yellow Foxtail grass"),
    but to be honest, I have absolutely NO knowledge of what weeds grow in Hawaii,
    don't I wish I lived there so I could learn!! :D

4. mikedickbek

mikedickbek New Seed

Yes!! That looks just like it! Do you know of any sort of weed killer that'll get rid of it? My back's starting to get sore from pulling them up...
    Thanks so much for your response.
    Mike

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mike because it's a grass and growing in your lawn then putting down 'Weed and Feed' would be useless as it would feed the very thing you don't want to have around.
    Your best bet would be to go for a Glysophate spot weedkiller. It means you'd have to rub it on the leaves of the plants so that it kills them to the roots though. Perhaps you could try to get a Glysophate spray but please spray directly on to the unwanted plant on a wind free day or you could lose more than you bargained for.

Advertisement
  6. majoroufan

majoroufan New Seed

Well, I am in Oklahoma, and have the same weeds/grass in my yard. Of course, I didn't realize it was a grass, so it's no wonder that weed and feed does not work!

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I think I have it here in Texas and my dad called it bunch grass.If it is full grown its tough to even mow.

8. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Looks like CRABGRASS / JOHNSON GRASS to me, which is a problem weed/grass all over central & south USA.
    Hank

9. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I'm not a real fan of harsh chemicals, but they are a neccessity if one has a lawn. Get a bottle of the strongest Roundup product you can get. Rinse out & lable a bottle of some sort with an eyedropper in it. Don't dilut the roundup, put it in the bottle. Go around in the mornings putting a drop in the middle of each clump of this grass. It might not look perfect for awhile, but that should wipe them out. Keep the bottle around for maintenance purposes, be SUre to lable it and use rubber gloves while applying it.

10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Someone here advised the use of vinegar. It's the only way to go!! I used regular old white vinegar on several different thistles and it worked like a charm! :-D It might be a long process dribbling vinegar on EVERY weed, guess it depends on how big your lawn is. It is cheap and effective!
    Aloha
    Deanna
    :-D

11. mikedickbek

mikedickbek New Seed

Nice! I'll definately give those last two suggestions a shot. It's been a while since I posted this thread and I've still been trying to just pull them up. they're still around...

Thanks a lot!
    Mike