Popeye's

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by eclecticgarden, Nov 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

The other day I stopped to get some Popeye's chicken. While I was standing in line I heard the lady who was ordering ask for a military discount. I didn't know they even offered a discount for military and said so to the couple in front of me. They obviously didn't know either because I heard her ask him if he had his ID.

Suddenly, the lady who was ordering started talking in a raised voice, "I'm supposed to get 50% off!"

50% seemed really high, but surprisingly the cashier calmly explained that Popeye's no longer offered 50% for military but did offer the standard 10% discount. You would have thought the world came to an end right there. As a veteran myself I can honestly say that I have never been more ashamed of a fellow service member. She whined and complained then asked to speak to the manager. When he explained the same thing she voiced more displeasure, begrudgingly paid and then stormed out of the store loudly issuing the statement, "Twenty-one years serving in the military and kicked to the curb. You just lost a customer!"

The couple in front of me approached the counter and placed their order. I heard her say, "We're veterans too, but we don't want a discount. I'm sorry you had to suffer through that."

When it came my time to order I apologized to her too. There was so much wrong with this situation that I don't even know where to begin. What happened to serving for love of country? Do we now serve just to rack up the discounts? If a restaurant or company chooses to lower its discount or even refuses to offer one then so what? I served for everyone, not just those who will somehow pay me back with a discount. Heck, I even served for those who don't believe in supporting the military at all. The way this woman acted was shameful and her actions did not honor the men and women who continue to put on the uniform every single day. Brave men and women who serve their country because they want to and because they love it, not because they are expecting something in return.

Popeye's might have lost a customer, but this is one veteran that will continue to visit them.

Henry Johnson, carolyn and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

One needs to read this sort of account now and then to come back to reality. I would find this sort of behaviour odd even if the profession in question was not military. I expect that the server appreciated the supportive apologies. You are a class dude, mate.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sjoerd said it all. what could I add that really says more.

eclecticgarden likes this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

God! What a jerk! :mad:

I've done my share of commiserating with customer service people too, when I observe others being nasty or discourteous or rude. I just hate to see that and even if the customer service folks are less than enthusiastic about what they're doing, there is just NO reason for rudeness! Maybe the server is having a bad day...maybe her boyfriend just broke up with her, or his mom has cancer, or her partner jost a job. There's no telling what's going on.

And in the case you describe it's even worse! We hold the military in high esteem, and when rude behavior happens with them, it hits even harder.

I'm glad you and the other customer spoke up. :heart:

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well said Sjeord and Ronni!! I can't add much more to what they've said but kicking off like that over such a trivial thing as a discount on a takeaway chicken meal is beyond my comprehension.

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Rudeness knows no boundries. I lived in south Florida many years ago and if the snowbirds didn't get their senior discounts then you can just imagine the ruckus they caused.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

On the other hand that place is probably glad to lose such a customer. The downside of it is she will only tell of the awfulness of her experience as a one sided story making the negative impact on a company and not on her.
    I had a customer who wanted to know if I would take less for my green beans one day. I looked at her and told her she could have them if she wanted to go pick them herself.. she has never been back.

eclecticgarden and Henry Johnson like this.
  8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I am going to play the devil's advocate here. I wonder if her term of service was an especially difficult one for her... maybe she had been in a combat zone, endured discrimination because of her gender and felt she was not supported by the country she served, suffered from PTSD and had not received counseling or proper treatment, lost friends and so many other possibilities. Not every one has the same military experience or reacts to their service experiences the same way.