Positive proof I'm crazy

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Jan 26, 2016.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

Oh I don`t know about that MG. Can`t you imagine all the men tearing the sleeves off their shirts, showing a skull & crossbones tattoo and having wheelchair races down the halls ? Not going to mention the ladies tattoo placement. Actually they might have a blast at your Easter egg hunt.

2ofus and marlingardener like this.
  2. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I think they would like the 'tats' also but 'someone' would have to help apply them. ;) I do know that my Aunt (and her friends at the nursing home) loved any and all 'Gaudy' jewelry. Long beaded necklaces, dangly earrings, huge flower clips for their hair. The men just seemed to want anything sweet. Personally, I think they would prefer candy in their Easter egg. Peeling an egg is beyond most of the residents capability. I guess that would depend on if it is a Living Center (for more active, alert people) or a Nursing Home.

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

2ofus, it is a nursing home, with a physical rehab section.
    I am not bringing hard boiled, colored eggs! I may be crazy, but I'm not masochistic! I also rethought the temporary tattoos--I have a good idea who would be running around, applying tattoos (me).
    Thank you for the jewelry idea--I'll canvass my friends for donations, and hit the thrift store also. Sweets are a problem--so many of the residents are on a restricted diet or are diabetic. I need to find something small enough to fit in the plastic egg, that isn't life threatening for someone on a restricted diet, and that I can afford!
    I wish the center allowed pets. I could go down to the local animal shelter and give everyone kittens!

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

OK try this,, make up gift bags with plain brown paper sacks and those donated items. They could include greeting cards, note pads and pens, those little sample, travel size toothpaste, hand creams, ect, ect. then put a number on paper and hide in the plastic eggs with a coordinating number on one of the gift bags. Find the egg with number 2 get the number 2 gift bag. They can be different items and something both genders can use. I save all the greeting cards I get when organizations want money and I would be happy to send those if needed. Just tie up a few with a red ribbon. For those that are able even a little pack of those 4 for a dollar flower seeds and a little peat pot to start them in.

2ofus likes this.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, you are brilliant!:setc_015: I can hit up our family dentist for the toothpastes; I have a stack of greeting cards with envelopes from different organizations; and the note pads and pens can be gotten very cheaply at the local dollar stores (maybe if I look pathetic they will even donate a few). The brown paper lunch bags tied with a ribbon and a number on the bag will make it easy to distribute the "prizes."
    Thank you for a super idea--the Easter party will be fun, and much easier now!

2ofus likes this.
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Let me know and I will be happy to send the cards & envelopes I have. Check with your local dollar store managers,, sometimes things are actually tossed in the trash if the packaging is damaged ect. Might be something you can use and by going to a good cause,,they might let you pick them up once a week when they are stocking shelves. My dollar store manager was complaining last week because of damage during transit and when things are loaded for transit.

2ofus likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, I'll let you know if we need your cards, and thank you for the generous offer. The dollar store idea is also brilliant--I'll take along a note from the activities director so the store manager will know I'm not just cadging freebies.Tossing items with damaged packaging--what a waste! I don't think I'll dumpster dive to get those if I can talk the manager into donating!
    You do have the best ideas:like:!

2ofus likes this.
  8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Those are excellent ideas, Mart!

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

I worked in a nursing home years ago. Its the surprise factor they love. Getting something useful that they didn`t know about beforehand. And if there is something in the sack they can not use they can trade with other residents. I think nursing homes should have a swap-shop. Many times relatives bring things that are unusable for some reason. Maybe this person does not like a particular fragrance or powder or simply has more than needed of an item. Many nursing home residents also have hobbies like crochet and other needlework Post a "Want to trade" on a blackboard. They also do not always get to go shop for things like birthday and Christmas gifts . I mean there are just so many crocheted potholders one can use. But if they can trade with others living there for items they can give,, its almost as good as going to WalMart. Keeps them busy and gets what they really like and can use or give as gifts. And gets them to interact with the other residents.

Frank and 2ofus like this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, I said it before and I"ll say it again--you are brilliant! I'm printing off your post and taking it into the nursing home. There is a recreation area where a "swap shop" table could be set up. If she thinks it is a good idea, I'll hit up friends for small items to get it going.
    This could work! Thank you so much for the suggestion! We may call it the "Mart Mart"!

Frank likes this.
  11. mart

mart Strong Ash

LOL ! Call it whatever you wish. All that's really necessary is either a bulletin board or chalkboard, Just let them post their items they have and what they sell them for or " Francis, in 2B has ivy/flower/ starts to trade ". or "Jean in 4A has crocheted items for sale". Like the Face Book buy,sell,trade groups do. That way those that are ambulatory interact with others.

2ofus, Frank and marlingardener like this.