Posting photos

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by Cayuga Morning, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Frank,
    I like the ease with which we can now post photos on the forums. It used to be that my pix were all too large & I had to find a way to minimize them.

What I find however is that when I try to post a photo on the 'Plants' site, my photos are still too big. Unfortunately the website I used in the past to reduce the size is no longer operational. I have photos in my garden section that I can't transfer to the 'Plants' section....perhaps there is a way of doing this that I don't know about.

In case you have not figured it out, I am technologically challenged (witness I have been on this forum 3 years? & have yet to figure out how to create an avatar). I have tried, but ???

I do enjoy this site & have grown fond of many of the members. It is also a great gardening resource. I also get a kick out of the interplay of personalities on this site. We are all such characters! Thanks for creating it.

2. Loading...

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I can't speak to the Plants site photo issue, but if there's a photo you'd like as your avatar, you're more than welcome to send it to me and I'll size it correctly for you. Then I can walk you through how to post it, if that part's a problem too. <3

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Isn't that wonderful? That is just like a Stewbie to help another Stewbie. That's why I love this place, too.

5. Cayuga Morning

Ronni, That would be GREAT! But aren't you recovering from pretty extensive eye/face surgery?

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

CG,
    Photos uploaded to the plant pages are the same size as photos uploaded to forum post...as long as they are no larger than 500 pixels in width they will be accepted.

When you are trying to get an avatar uploaded is the photo perfectly square?

There are several image manipulators that you can download to your computer that are free, I use GIMP. You can go to http://www.gimpshop.com/ and get one for Windows, I have the Linux version.

You could also let Frank know you have a problem, there may be something in the software that is causing a problem.

7. kate

kate In Flower

I uploaded an Image 1000 px, I thought it looked a bit small. Right clicked for the size and in the Album its half the size...500px.
    :D

8. Cayuga Morning

Hi Toni,

I have photos in my garden section of this website that get rejected when I try to post them into the Plants section of Garden Stew.

Thanks for the suggestion of Gimpshop. I just tried to load it but my Norton internet security system wouldn't allow it. ?! Je ne sais pas. There is so much I don't get about computers.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

This is a puzzlement...I just checked one of the photos in your garden and it is sized correctly so it really should be accepted by the plant page process.

The photos uploaded to the plant pages can be W-2700px H-2200px so the plant page software will resize.

Looks like Frank will need to do some software digging. :rolleyes:

10. Cayuga Morning

Thanks for checking Toni. I am able to upload some of the photos from my garden page & some I can't upload. Other times I can post a photo on a thread while I can't upload it directly to my own garden page. ??

11. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Cayuga, I will investigate for you if you email me one of the problem photos to the email address at the bottom of the page :stew2: Hope we can get it sorted for you!