Pottery and Porcelain.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Sydney Smith, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thank you Syd. I checked again and it is as I sent you. MADDOCK"S

2. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Donna. It was very interesting looking it up but as stated think we have it right and the apostrophe before the S in Maddock's was to indicate "made by". Did you have a look at Trenton Pottery Marks on Google or your SE?. Syd.

Hi C. Thanks for those very clear pics. I had thought the metalwork was attached to the saucer directly via holes and rivets/screws but it looks like they are just small clips/clamps to hold the saucer IN the frame. The hole in the cup is puzzling - in moulding hollow figures a hole was left to enable gases to escape on firing but never seen it in a cup before - is that a corresponding hole in the bottom of the saucer?. Think you are right and it is a part of the manufacturing/assembly of the whole item. Will persevere and let you know any results I find. Am I right in thinking it could be classed as Art Deco which would give it (as you think) a thirties date?. Very interesting this and now theres more avenues to explore i.e. can see the decoration fully - cup shape and handle.
    An edit. Hi C. Can see now possibly why theres a hole in the cup base. The stem does not appear to be open from its footrim right up to the bowl of the cup but looks like an enclosed hollow and holes would be needed to let gases etc out in firing - as in hollow figurines etc. Syd,

3. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all Have been looking at Cups and Saucer shapes on PC Sites last few days and whilst doing so found a nice figurine which will be placed on the Mantelpiece with the one already on it. Here they are togethet for comparison and the one on the right
    is the new one - very pleased with it. Also found a nice Blue and White and also a Red Willow Cup and Saucer. Syd.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Sydney Smith's Garden )

[​IMG]

4. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Latest aquisitions plus some red willow (on Willow topic). The floral cup and saucer is a real gem in super condition - do not know makers or dates of any of it but will try to find.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Henry Johnson likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

DSC_0026-001.JPG Some latest china

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sydney, are the cream pitcher, tea cup and two saucers transfer ware? I have a red on white tea pot that is transfer ware, but not as handsome as yours!

7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Most of my plates, cups, saucers, jugs and similar wares are transfer printed or transferred in one or two colours then "clobbered" - it was "mass production". The more expensive/exclusive items would be more likely to be handpainted - I have quite a number of these.

DSC_0020.JPG DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0008.JPG

View attachment 3899

If you particularly like an item I will photo it on its own close up for you to look at.

DSC_0028.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015
  8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jane. Long time no see - hope you and yours keep well. That little jug/pitcher and its bowl are made by Davenport of Longport in UK - they go way back and very collectable.
    That type of pattern in its deep red and blue is generally known I believe as "Imari" which has a true Japanese background and style ( worth reading of) but with much copying by British and other Potters so it is very variable and called by that name if decorated along the same lines/colours.
    Your "Q" name the only one I can think of is Quimper ( French?) and is quite different although it has very distinctive patterns- also much collected. Best wishes. Syd.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Thank you, Sydney--quimper ware was just what I couldn't remember. Imari--I'll look it up. Not much collectible porcelain or pottery shows up here in central Texas, but it never hurts to hunt (plus, hunting and hoping are fun!).

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sydney, the pitcher on the far left of the above photo--there is a word for the type of decoration, but for the life of me I can't remember it. I think it starts with a Q (of all things!). Is the pitcher that type, and if so, please what is the name?

11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. I think all the figures are beautiful whatever their size but the smaller daintier allegorical ones are particularly so and in fact I see them as exquisite. The pics of them close together in the cabinet do not show them to their full beauty so I have dividcd them and hopefully post pics here. Also some of the bigger ones which are up to 9 inches tall. Note the incredible workmanship on the male figure in the red coat - the gilding of the coat fasteners etc.
    hope this works.

Hi. First following figures are up to 5 inches tall - man 7 inches and woman with grapes 9 inches. Have more taller ones to send but I am making a mistake somewhere sending multiples.

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0017-001.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0008-001.JPG .

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2015
  12. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

DSC_0032-001.JPG DSC_0038.JPG DSC_0001-002.JPG DSC_0007-001.JPG DSC_0013-001.JPG DSC_0017-003.JPG DSC_0026-002.JPG More fine china

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Syd, forgive my ignorance, but the figurine just below the photo of the cream pitcher (?) and on the left--is she holding a churn dasher? I love looking at your figurines and trying to figure out who they are and what they are doing.

15. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jane. Thank you for your comment and interest as always. Firstly though ref "forgiving your ignorance" believe me you always come across to myself as a very interesting and generally well informed lady - thanks again for your response.
    Ref the figure so many of them when portrayed as vendors or artisans holding baskets - trays - implements etc i.e. fruit, flowers, fish. bread sellers, gardeners are shown as very well dressed - some particularly so in "finery" of quite elaborate gowns - hardly the things one would wear in such activities but thats how they are made - probably to increase their over all attractiveness which it does I think..
    I think you are correct and that it is a churn dasher she is holding though as it appears the perspective does not show the circular shape of one - just an edge on view. To her left hand she does have some kind of container - perhaps an old type of churn or a receptacle used as a partner to the dasher.
    The thought did occur to me that the item is shaped (as you see it) like a garden hoe so just possibly she is a gardener - I think you are correct though.
    I always do as you do with all the figures and think of their history - indeed I do this with all my china. Much much of it was made years ago by then very simple methods, was owned by folk, went somewhere and the thought comes - who what where were they.
    Always nice to talk to you.
    Best wishes. Syd.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016