Predator Proof Blue Bird house.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Tooty2shoes, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

This winter I have been making some more Log style Blue Bird houses. Plus some wren and chickadee houses.
    This log style house is 15" long at the base. A raccoons arm is only about 10" long. The nesting cavity is at the back of the box. So when the raccoon reaches in to try and get the baby birds it can't reach them. Plus there is a 2 1/2" baffle placed in front of the nesting area to also protect the baby birds.
    Also this type of house allows the adult Blue bird to get out of the house if a sparrow should attack it. I was having problems with sparrows trying to build in these new bird houses. But then I read an article that said a sparrow like a dark nesting space. A Blue bird doesn't mind a well lite space.
    So I now cut a 4"x3" sunroof in the front portion of the house. Then I put hardware cloth stapled over the hole. I also have drain holes drilled in the floor below so when it rains it doesn't affect the babies.
    My friends have been encouraging me to make more of them and sell them at our local farmers market this year.
    I will have to see how ambitions I get. I had even been toying with the idea of having an online store to sell them. I would call my little adventure--Bird Abodes. Ok enough chatter for one day. Here's a pic of them.

[​IMG]
    Log style Blue Bird house and smaller Wren houses. ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )

Ps: the Blue bird house still needs to have it's sun roof installed. :stew1:

eileen, Sjoerd, stratsmom and 6 others like this.
  2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

They look very nice. :) I agree with your friends. You ought to sell them at a market. At least you can find out if there's a market for them.

Since I've got ten thumbs I would have bought one. I hope your birds will appreciate them.

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

tooty, great looking birdhouses! they should sell very well! i like the inches you put on so the raccoon can't hurt the dwellers! very smart!

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I love it!! If we had bluebirds I'd sure buy one or two! :-D

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think those will sell really easily Tooty. The ones in the shops here are so expensive and aren't nearly as well made, or thought out, as yours are.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Tooty, They look great. I was going to suggest the "baffle" but since you put it inside, (it looks so much better, too) I don't need to. Tip the box that has the sunroof and let us see that, too, would you, pretty, please?. It is a great idea and I did not know that they didn't mind the light in their houses.

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A very impressive undertaking with a lot of thought to the architecture. I would be most interested as to how the birds task to the houses, how the houses hold up to the elements and if the construction techniques protect the blue bird young.

Jerry

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Those look super!

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Those look terrific. I hope that they work well for you.
    ...and what Droopy said--They look good enough to sell.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I wonder how it would work to use a piece of lexan (greenhouse material) for the roof? it is clear, but like corrugated cardboard and has a 10 year life span. hmmmm? that I have, maybe I will modify the one in my backyard since the sparrows confiscate it every year.

11. craftie2

craftie2 New Seed

Love them. If I live closer I would buy them. Good luck on your endeavors

Margie