Prickly Plum

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jul 28, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We were over chatting to a gardening neighbour lady about this, that and the other. At one point she had a “what to do” question about a plum tree that had growth coming out of the rootstock. The growth coming out of the rootstock is now larger than the plum tree itself and has multiple branches

The rootstock has serious “thorns” on it that catches her attention from time to time. The plum tree is not producing as well as she would like.
    C9CC5303-EE76-43CF-883E-C779C75D483E.jpeg

What can be done then?

I suggested excising the runaway rootstock growth and further to remove any more wannabe new growth twigs that will inevitably follow.

She is unwilling to do this at the moment because the rootstock tree gives her some very much appreciated shade on the warm days. She (and I) were also curious what the rootstock was. I do not know. She did not know if it was a tall, medium or short rootstock.

I would encourage any of you to offer a possible name for the rootstock as well as suggestions as to what she can do with this spikey bully.
    2A1F7D0A-44F5-467F-BD18-6DA3456E74A5.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
    eileen likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Her plum tree is obviously grafted on a sturdier root stock, likely Prunus Americana.. Tell her to buy an umbrella for shade, and cut off the thorny root stock shoots and any others that appear. The root stock will take over, and weaken her desirable plum tree, or eventually kill it.
    We go through the same thing with apple trees, and are ruthless in removing the "sprouts".

Logan, eileen and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We are on the same page, Jane. I will tell her what you say.
    Thanks so much for your ideas.

Logan and eileen like this.