Prim's posies and projects

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Primsong, May 8, 2006.

1. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I don't know what it is but it is very attractive.I do love the fireworks grass.Thanks for the pictures.

2. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

"milking the purple cow" :D My grandma would have loved to can the grapes into jelly. She enjoyed it so much.
    I love the bright fire like color of the grass. Nice pics.

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Ahhhh, Primsong, what a marvelous tour through the seasons in your garden!!

You have emerald green thumbs on both hands for sure!! :smt041

Thank you, thank you, I enjoyed that sooo much.

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We have two kinds of pyracantha but I don't know the difference or the names. The ones on the front fence smell horrible when the bloom and have a light orange berry and no thorns. Marilyn says the first thing she will do when Frank(not our gnome) dies is cut those bushes down. We bear with it for a couple of weeks every spring. The ones on the back fence are thorny and have dark orange flowers. The birds love them. Dan says the ones that smell so bad are pollinated by insects like moths, etc. The other one is pollinated by bees and smell sweet. So, you could have pyracantha without thorns because if there are two varieties there could be one more. Hopefully yours are not the horrible smelly kind. Dooley

Advertisement
  5. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Beautiful "firegrass". I con hubby into smelling those pyracantha blooms every year. They smell like rotting meat. :D

6. dooley

Yep! That is the kind on our front fence, but they are on the neighbor's side of the fence. When we first moved here we went around trying to find what died. Dooley

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That's an awesome shot Prim, fireworks were definitely the first thing that popped into my head :)

8. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Thank you muchly!

Just thought I'd post to say I've solved the mystery - it seems my big arching thornless beauty with berries is a variety of cotoneaster - I have no idea why they have that name (sounds like a fluffy bunny to me), but I am pleased that it no longer need be "that bush with the berries over there." 8)

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I just found this post of your gardens Primsong...WOW! What a way to spend a dreary November afternoon!

10. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Looks like that 'white fluffy stuff' hasn't managed to avoid us entirely this year. This is from this morning in the greenhouse, plus one of my snowcat following me - she was lurking on the roof of the woodshed waiting for a chance to dash into the warmer greenhouse (alas, foiled again!). Poor little geraniums, only ones managing to still crank out the occasional bloom. My greenhouse is not well insulated, so they "barely" make it out of the weather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Oh my gosh all that snow.Its beautiful.
    Thanks for the photos Prim.Love the peeping kitty.

12. dooley

My geraniums are all still thriving and one is still blooming. They are waiting patiently to move back outside. It's still too cold but I have been promising them a day in the warm sun. It just isn't very warm. I think I should have put them outside last week. Dooley

13. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Been a while since I put up any pictures!

I was out playing in the dirt this afternoon, and here is a little of what I found:

A little patch of happy cyclamen I found while weeding around the lavender...little out of focus, no fancy camera here. ;-)

[​IMG]

My hellebores have such big blooms, even though they are a pale green, which always seems odd for a flower to me - this bunch is a little bigger than a dinner plate altogether and there are several of them... It's the only hellebore I've ever had, so I don't remember if this is typical or large.

[​IMG]

And last, just a little of the crowd of daffys starting to come up all around the ferns - yay for spring!

[​IMG]

First bluebell opened up today...the blue tide cometh!

14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'll second that :smt023

15. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I was out spraying earlier and to my great astonishment found my 'trivoli fountain' blooming among the hoards of bluebells coming up - I thought it was dead! It was utterly pathetic last I saw of it and I was certain I had killed it. What a delight. I yanked up a fair number of 'bells that were threatening to choke it and took a picture, I was so tickled:

[​IMG]

(Not the best pic, but it really is pretty - it has silver spots and bi-color blooms) Also stopped by the local nursery to buy blueberry plants, four varieties of highbush berries. They'll have to languish in their pots for a while, I haven't finished the raised bed yet, but it is nice to be able to snag the ones I wanted early on.

And the double-bloom daffys I put in this fall came up, all thick with fringes and curls - very fun.