Propagation of perenials from seed needing cold stratification

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Melody Mc., Nov 1, 2022.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Many plants that require this procedure have naturally accomplished this procedure naturally in the garden. Eventually they over take areas of the garden . Many have been removed but seeds saved.

Logan likes this.
  2. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Daniel W - this may sound silly....but can you over stratify a seed? If I have a cold spring, I'm wondering if it is okay to leave them in the fridge longer than two months. And do you stratify every seed for the same amount of time, or just for what that specific plant needs?

Pacnorwest likes this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Melody Mc. that's a great question. I don't know. I suppose that stratification could last a whole winter, since that's what happens in nature. They might get moldy, so that's worth checking and change the paper towel if they get moldy. I've usually stratified for two months - milkweed, echinacea, rudbeckia, coreopsis, and as a mad scientist, apple, peach, pluot.

4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thanks Buddy - that helped a lot. That was my thought too, mimicking a winter and the recommended time may be the minimum required. I did read about keeping an eye on molding - I appreaciate the advice and will keep an eye on that. I'm trying to time mine so that starting them is using minimum grow light support, so that the $$ goes to the vegetables. ( Although secretly I would love a room full of flowers ) :)

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Melody, folks here in New England sometimes plant seeds around now outdoors under gallon milk jugs. They cut the bottoms off the jugs and leave the lids on until the days begin to warm up a bit. Then the lids come off during the day for ventilation.

I've never done this, so I can't report on the success of this method. Also we are much warmer here:. -12 to 4 C.

Good luck with whatever you try.

I have the opposite problem: perennials self sow in our driveway, our lawn, our walkways, around the pool etc. I have trouble yanking them out, it seems too cruel. My family (and visiting guests!) are under strict instructions not to step on them. Ha ha. What's more important, your plants or your people?

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Ordered 2 prop boxes to grow seeds this year.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thanks CM. :)

I feel your plant safety plan. As to your question...I take the fifth. :D;)

Pacnorwest and Cayuga Morning like this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Planting seeds in coloches the mild jug covers is a good stand by for seed covers . It’s always a struggle during seed staring season outside.I can never just stop at 4 or 5 seed packs. I usually plant 2-3 seeds in each pod just in case one seed does not germinate. Would love some zinnias, delphiniums, rudbeckia’s, and many other favorites .

Already received my propagation boxes I ordered. I can start a few of them inside this year. I decided to not refill the propane tank for the greenhouse at $6 a gallon - 500 gal tank. I have had to pay almost triple the cost to fill the oil tank for the oil furnace. Also repaired the wood burning stove , now we have back up heating in the house in case storms cause power issues. It will be fun to have sweetpeas this year too.

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Our propane increased three-fold, plus costs for tank rental and delivery. One tank full cost more than buying a nice electric range - so I bought the electric range. The old gas range went outside under a purpose-built awning for a summer kitchen, and now runs on a portable, RV size tNk that I can fill myself at the store.

Those sweetpeas will be fun! I have some to plant, too.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Daniel you were very clever to recycle your gas stove. Last year public service came by and wanted to add a safety Deelee bobber to the elec wire next to the house which connects straight to the fuse box. They attached them and the next thing I knew the lights were blinking in one room then another etc. I immediately turned all the switches off in the electrical box.
    It turned out the public service deelee bobbers shorted out the elec stove and a few other things. The wires were repaired all is good. Power company replaced all our appliances. A teeny bit scary…I am just glad I was home.. imagine what could of happened if I didn’t have the presence of mind to turn off all the electrical box switches when lights thru out the house were literally profusely blinking like it was ‘Showtime’ a Light Show. And not in a good way…

Melody Mc. likes this.