Protecting/Preserving Color of Glass Totems

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by msbeaniac, Dec 22, 2008.

1. msbeaniac

msbeaniac New Seed

I am fascinated with totems and have been a frequent thrift saler and garage saler. I've made one I'm quite proud of, but am worried because two of the vases were cheap dollar store ones (purple). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the colors vibrant (I'm in Texas...sun and more sun). I've found a few ads but not sure if they are worth it or if there is a more simple solution:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Rosemarie

2. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Welcome from Madisonville ,Texas.I'm glad you joined our Stew.Rosemarie I live near you and I make glass totems too.I have a problem with the painted ones peeling but my colored clear glass stays the same.

3. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Hi Rosemarie and welcome to the Stew from Lufkin, TX. I have several totems and have had no problem with the color fading. Was the purple item painted or actual purple glass?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome to GardenStew Rosemarie. :-D There are lots of our members who make garden totems so you should get plenty of advice about how to preserve the colour of yours.

Advertisement
  5. msbeaniac

msbeaniac New Seed

Protecting/Preserving Color of Glass Totems�

Thanks for the welcome all. The purple glass was from Big Lots...and was a whole 88 cents so I'm sure it was dyed. For the $9 or so it may be worth trying the spray I found on the internet unless just using a clear gloss would do the trick? Guess it will be trial and error. I did combine it with some cut glass so I'll be heartbroken if it peels but then again...they sell glass paints right? LOL

6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Yeah, it will be trial and error. I know you want to preserve your creation, but then if you are like me, you don't have a lot of money invested in each totem. I found that you can buy glass cheaper at Dollar Tree (everything is a buck) than you can at the Goodwill of SA. They can be pricey. Of course at yard sales, you can bargin down usually. Let us know how it holds up!