Prunella Vulgaris, heal-all and many names

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by AAnightowl, May 26, 2022.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Self-Heal Plant - The Lost Herbs

Here is an interesting article about Prunella Vulgaris, aka Self heal, heal-all, all heal, and many other names.

When I got bitten by a copperhead in 2014, I had to have surgery on my hand to remove the necrosis. I had found this plant in my field a year or two before, and looked it up. I moved some to my garden, and it comes up wherever. (It is not invasive like kudzu the vine that ate the south...) Anyway, I made tea with it and used it as a wound wash as often as I changed the dressing on my hand. It healed completely within 10 days, and both of my doctors were very impressed. I used the tea and A&D ointment as I am allergic to antibiotics.

Melody Mc., Tetters and eileen like this.
  2. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This grows all over my lawn (aka mowed wild meadow). I didn't know what it was until my son in law pointed it out. His father makes tea from it regularly. I do not but I found it very interesting. The Bees sure love the flower.

Droopy, AAnightowl and eileen like this.
  3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I put some of it in flower pots for when I want some, because DS mows all kinds of things I would not. Thankfully, I do most of the mowing, but the other day he was being helpful.

4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

This grows wild here too.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We have a lot of it's cousin in our garden, but of course not that one! It should grow wild in the woods or meadows around here, so I'd best take a look. Thanks for the tip!