Pruning Rose bushes

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Edlou8181, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Edlou8181

Edlou8181 Seedling

Well friends I come again hat in hand looking for help.
    When I moved in my Apt. there was a small rose bush,and I've been caring for it ever since.
    The aphids keep eating the plant,but that is another time.
    I was weeding it today and there is no blooms,but it is starting to really come to lift.
    My question is it to soon to prune the bush and if so how far to the base should I do it.
    I only got 1 rose whish I was happy with,but having my own place for years,1 bloom isn't enough.
    Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
    Sleep warm
    ed

2. Loading...

3. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Liberal mulch. regualr watering. Uness its lanky or falling over, I would only prune out dead wood.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ed, Where you are, roses should be pruned in early, early spring, just when the little red nubbins start to show on the stems (late February?). That is a good time to follow Coppice's advice and add mulch, and water if needed. I usually give my roses a nice feeding of composted manure right after pruning, and after each bloom flush until the fall bloom, when I don't feed because it might encourage new growth that will get frost-bitten.
    Most rose bushes don't need much pruning--just take out dead canes, or canes that cross one another and rub. If the center of the bush gets dense, you can take out a few canes to improve air circulation.

5. gkwilsongardens

gkwilsongardens New Seed

Chances are the soil in the pot has depleted its nutrients so repotting in fresh soil is recommended, make sure there are drainage holes in the bottom, prune out any dead, diseased or damaged wood, feed with slow release and foliar fertilisers and never allow the soil to dry out.