Purple garlic?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Aug 6, 2022.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I have the opportunity to get some purple garlic to plant this fall. It's a new one for me, and I'm hoping that someone who has planted and used it can tell me about its growth and taste.
    We love garlic, and eat a lot of it, so adding to our repertoire of garlic would be great!

Beeker and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

I planted it.
    I can't speak for Texas, as I'm in New England, but it grows beautifully. I don't know what month you'll be planting in. For my area, I'll be planting either the end of October or early November. The scapes were ready to harvest in June and the garlic was ready in mid-July. Again, this is for New England.
    Are you already familiar with growing garlic?

As for taste...
    The scapes were delightful. I'm still cooking with them. I think next year I'll try the compound butter trick.
    The cloves aren't really purple. The outer paper has the purple color but the garlic is still the regular garlic color.
    The taste of the cloves... I only just finished bagging my harvest so I haven't tried one yet... I'll try one now.
    Oh.
    It's dreamy...
    Perfect.
    A little heat to it, too.
    Yes, you'll be very happy with Purple.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    eileen, Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Beeker, thank you for telling about purple garlic. We have grown white garlic for years with success.
    2020 garlic basket.jpg I'm looking forward to trying the purple, along with the white.

Beeker likes this.