Purple Houseplants?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by fish_4_all, Nov 17, 2008.

1. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

OK, y'all... I know I am not the 'brightest crayon in the box', :D :D but I DO know an Oxalis...they come in green and purple. I googled 'Prayer Plant' and that is what I am talking about. It is green with purple veins. Some plants that I have seen are more purple than others. And I think the under side of the leaf is always purple. Now does anyone know what I am talking about??? :rolleyes:

2. travelingbooklover

travelingbooklover In Flower

In NJ, I had a Gynura plant (velvet plant) that I kept under a light near my desk. It is a semi-shrub, produces long stems, leaves are oblong with toothed margins and covered with purple hairs. It is really a very pretty plant. (However, it is toxic). I killed the one I had here with too much sun. If you forget to turn the light on, it will revert to more green in the leaves.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes, I know what you are talking about, KG--we have them here in the garden centers I think we call them Stromanthe's or something like that. They were very popular here a few years ago...and still are to some extent.
    I believe that there are several different ones too, if I am not mistaken.

4. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

[​IMG] This is what I am talking about. At least a piece of a leaf!!

Thanks, Sjoerd, I knew someone had to come through for me!! ;)

Advertisement
  5. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

The gunura looks a lot like Coleus but I like it better. More vining or at least it looks like it anyway.

kuntrygal, is that the prayer plant? That is simply awesome looking! I did see some that looked kinda like that but they were not as brilliant and the veins were not as defined. Will have to find some more pictures of this and might have to try and find one soon.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

No worries, KG. As I said those plants are well-known here and exist in varying degrees of green. More frequently, we see the darker green without the white and the undersides are very dark purplish-burgundy.
    Actually they are all very distinguished-looking.

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

fish_4_all, that is a portion of a leaf. I think they are beautiful. Google "Prayer Plant" and there will be lots of pictures. I love purple, so I am with you on this one!!

8. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

well this isn't what I was thinking of, but close http://www.gflora.com/zen-cart/index.ph ... b900ccbbfb
    But, me being nutty about violets in all forms, recommend african violets. Again, very easy to start, just tweak off a leaf, dip in rootone, set in sand that's kept damp, and viola! Literally!
    Lavender does beautifully in our area, and looks gorgeous lining a walkway. Rosemary does too, has little purple-pink blooms, and smells like heaven (unless you are a chicken!)

9. wilsonmian

wilsonmian Seedling

I like Coleus plants because of their chaming purple color

10. starface000

starface000 Seedling

I agree, setcreasea is a great purple plant. It grows so fast and the leaves look almost man made the way they shimmer when light hits them. Plus the cute purple flowers that bloom intermittently can give a nice surprise when many open at the same time on a sunny day.

11. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

My wandering Jew is finally growing and tunring a brilliant purple. It is very bright and finally going good. It took a while but I thikn it will do well now.

Thank you again Glandann.

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I'm glad it is doing great for you Fish_for_all

13. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

I do too the name is CHARMED WINE OXALIS..
    MY VERY FAVORITE.

14. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Did the one I sent you ever take off??
    Deanna
    :-D

15. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

That's the ones, sorry Deanna, I forgot who sent it. Had computer wipe about a month ago. I thought glendann sent them.

But they are doing extremely well now. I think once it wamrs up and I can get them outsider they will become huge and I won't know what to do with them. I was worried they were not gonna grow for a while there though. It seemed like they would send up a small shoot and it would die. I think I was over watering but not sure.

Only 4 of them survived but they are now thriving. I will probably have t find another pot for them by mid summer so I can hang them as they will take over the stand in short order.