Purple sprouting Broccoli

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by greengirl58, May 31, 2011.

1. greengirl58

greengirl58 New Seed

started off well...little purple florets which I would go out and pick to cook but now there is a sea of yellow flowers....some stalks still have some broccoli but mostly its gone. any suggestions about what I could do now?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Your broccoli has bolted, probably due to the heat. Cut off the flower stalks and wait for the side shoots to develop(they will be small, like floret size) or pull the whole plant out and plant something else in its place. Broccoli is a cool weather crop and doesn't do well in hot weather. In my opinion, I would pull the whole row and plant something else, something that does better in warmer weather. :stew1:

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The temperature of the soil rising above about 75 degreesF/24degC will cause the plant to bolt....start blooming.
    The part that has bolted is not edible.

You can try to salvage the plant by chopping off the blooming stems, the plant will produce side shoots that you can eat. Just be sure to harvest them often so they don't bolt again especially as the temp of the soil warms up. What you can't eat fresh can be blanched and frozen.

5. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

My purple and white sprouting came out ages ago and the new plants are now in. You have to be quick and harvest frequently before the buds have a chance to open. I would dig it up and get the next lot in.