Quick question on Dell Assistant pls.

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Gail-Steman, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Last year i purchased a Dell AMD Ryzen 7 windows 11, as i checked my HP and it wouldn't except the windows 11.
    I had a one year cover free with Dell supportAssistant for drivers and purchased a further 3yrs cover, when come to registering it, it was in US and wouldn't except reg, to update it's the paying game as usual.

This link is supposed to give you the drivers if you add the tag but a pc tech we know said leave well alone as scammers can be attached.

Support for SupportAssist for Home PCs | Drivers & Downloads | Dell UK

Does anyone know if this is true? i do have Dell update app on the screen but so fare it's only done the Bios of the Dell.

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Its dell.com so it is legit. While sales based file centers can have buggy freewares, I would consider a manufacturer site like this about as good as they come.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  4. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well they say to get the correct drivers it's DellsupportAssist.com but i read your other comment on my phone last night reading and you do have a point regarding giving out an update but not receiving it.

I have checked my drives going through Device manager and opened system devices and if you click on them that need updates it shows anyway and you can check from there, so i think i'll do that save risking the laptop.

I had them back my system up for £30 on a USB drive but it contained windows 10 and that makes me think now, if anything happened and i used it would 11 come with it.

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  5. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

USB can be a risky backup because the files that organize the usb are subject to corrupting accidentally. There are higher end, more expensive usb drives that avoid this but the differences are lost to most users. Basically there are a bunch out there that while cheap, use software to get there, rather than a more robust onboard file system.

https://recoverit.wondershare.com/flashdrive-recovery/types-of-usb.html

Gail-Steman likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Thanks for that link for future reference and i totally agree with USB sticks especially, as i've transfered stuff in the past only to loose some.
    At the moment i use a 1TB Seagate and :fingerscrossed: it's been excellent.

This laptop as 8GB Ram and 512GB storage and i asked my hubby to take the back off and up the ram to 16 and storage 1TB and he refuses to touch it :rolleyes:

Pacnorwest and Dirtmechanic like this.
  7. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Hi Gail. Sorry only just read this thread. I haven't much to say about DELL. Although some time ago now. Valerie bought me a Dell laptop whilst on holiday in the New Forest. Couldn't get a signal etc even using a dongle. Back home, attempted to register the set. Registration not accepted. The set was continually in local shop for repairs, required a new keyboard. Sorry but for me. Dell computers...stink.

Logan likes this.