Quote button

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by carolyn, Dec 15, 2012.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Frank, I have noticed that on the very last post on every thread you cannot click the quote button to use it for a new post. Is it my computer or a glitch no one has noticed/mentioned yet?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kay
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. gardengater
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Frank faded out the Quote button on the last post of each topic on purpose. Quoting the last post was being done way too often, posts were looking cluttered and unreadable in some instances.
    And I believe there was at least one instance when a second member quoted a post that already contained a Quoted post, then another responder did that again and all that quoting resulted in a long, very confusing conversation that couldn't be followed.

It was really a problem when the last post contained photos and those were Quoted by the next responder.
    Many of our members are on dial-up internet service and those repeats were slowing them down and making the GardenStew visit unenjoyable.

Fading out that one Quote button has done a lot to cut down on the over quoting issue.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Really? I never noticed any of that. Well, thanks for the information.It does make it a little harder to respond to that specific post in the thread though. I hardly ever quote anything, but I never thought/noticed others were doing it excessively.

5. toni

The excessive quoting was a growing problem just before you joined last year. Frank, Eileen and I were being kept pretty busy editing out the excessive quoting and making posts less messy looking. Frank faded out the Quote button back in early July of this year since the problem was continuing.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I never figured out how to work the quote button :-? What is the trick? :rolleyes:

7. toni

Just click on the Quote button on the post you want to quote. It opens up a message box with the quote ready to be replied to. But like noted above, the Quote button on the last post of each topic is faded out and doesn't work. ;)

And if you want to Quote just a part of the post instead of the whole thing...like removing photos so they don't duplicate....

After you have the quoted post in the message box....
    Put your cursor at the beginning of the section of text you do not want to quote, hold down the left mouse button and carefully drag the cursor to the end of the text you do not want to quote, that portion of text will be highlighted. Take your finger off the button and hit the delete button on your keyboard.

Frank likes this.
  8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

The reason it is done like that is for the last poster to have time to edit it without being quoted upon.

You just type:

[ quote="waretrop"] whatever you want to say [ /quote]

:D Hope Frank or someone doesn't get mad at me for fooling around....Hope they don't delete this either.

Frank likes this.
  9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow, I didn't get yelled at. Thank you Frank. :setc_005:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Here's my quick explanation of quoting. It's really quite straightforward once you do it once or twice.

If you see a post you want to quote click the Quote link inside the post (assuming it's not the last post of course). This will bring you to the post preview screen with the post already quoted. While still on the post preview screen if you don't want to quote the entire post but just a portion click inside the post edit area and use your arrow keys to move around the text and use the backspace key to remove portions of the text you do not want. Be careful not to remove any of the square brackets that signify code (they look like or or for example), or else the post will appear misformatted. Write your own text after the code.

11. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

And here is a helpful YouTube video explaining quoting. It's not the same forum software as ours but the process is basically identical.

[youtube]nrqLv__bFzk[/youtube]

12. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Cool Beans :p