Rainy Day Gardening

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, May 24, 2021.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This season is so strange— so much cold, so much rain and so much wind.
    The plants are stunted if making any millimetres vertically at all. These broad beans are only half the size that they ought to be when they begin to show flower buds. My beans have flowers at the moment, so they are three times shorter than they ought to be. I need for them to be much taller so that I can top them to avoid getting blackfly.
    2FB12D6F-1BAC-4631-99E3-EA3D878C98F9.jpeg

The Swiss chard in front of the broadies needs weeding and thinning. If it had not been raining so much we might have been able to get to them before now. Well mates, that’s just the kind of season it has been this year.

What we have been able to get to yesterday in-between the showers were the little beetroot seedlings. Together we were able to weed and thin about 1/3 if the rows yesterday between the showers,
    02499D44-D085-4788-8D17-8411FDB161CB.jpeg

The angle of the camera gives a false impression that we got much further than we actually did. We replanted some select specimens in-between the rows of the two different sorts of beetroot plants.

You can see that the spinach is doing well, despite its retarded growth. The last row on the rifgr is the Swiss chard with just the tip of the end of the broad beans. The two plastic bag silo’s protect the newly planted courgette plants.

So then, not a lot positive to report; however, the second green potato leaves are up.
    44F3C374-3FF5-49A6-B855-4899AEE0ACE4.jpeg

Right after taking this pic, I earthed them up...and then it began raining. Time for a pause.
    As you can see, there is still lots to do in the veggie quadrants.

S-H, eileen and Odif like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I just went outside to check if it was still raining and it is a bit. So I came back in and had a look on garden stew. Coincidentally the latest post was this post about the rain. We luckily had sunshine this morning. Lots of stuff is late this year here too.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I’m sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with lateness too. This unusual challenge will keep us on our toes this season. If I look on my weather app, I see that in about a week the hot stuff will begin with temps in the 29’s. Perhaps then the season will take off. I may live to regret all this complaining about all this cool and moist weather.

5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I checked out a few long range forecasts for the summer and the scenarios for Northern Europe will be hot this summer, however where we live, wet and cool conditions will probably persist. Mostly my garden is on time, because I start a lot of stuff indoors or in mini Tunnels. I notice the nature is late this year.

Sjoerd likes this.