Randon Act of Horticulture #1

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by plantjunky, Feb 3, 2010.

1. plantjunky

plantjunky New Seed

In town there is this house. In the yard of the house, and all along the drive, are various decorations and plastic plants. the person that lives in the house during the summer does a little yard work, such as, adding geraniums to the window boxes and pansies all around along with some other 'annual' plants. leaving them to die a cold miserable death.

Now, front and center is a hanging basket with a plastic 'boston fern' plant.

I have some Christmas ferns. I see them growing on the cliff faces around the area so I believe that they are extremely cold hardy and somewhat drought tolerant - also evergreen.

What I have done is taken some that were living on my three season porch and potted them up. come spring I will be going to this persons house to offer them this easy to care for evergreen fern to replace their fading plastic one.

Whataya think? Random act #1

More to come. This seems like a very easy most logical circumstance. I enjoy the thought very much.

That's me,
    Pat

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. fatbaldguy
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I like the idea of your first random act Pat!! If I were the person that lived in that house I'd welcome having a real fern instead of an artificial one. Do let us know what they think of the plant you give them won't you?

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I think you're very brave and also very thoughtful for thinking that the people living there might appreciate such a gesture. I say go for it and good luck!

Me, I'd be over the moon if someone turned up on my doorstep with plants. :D

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I think gardening brings out the caring and sharing in people. That's a wonderful idea Pat.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Some times that's fun to do. Maybe that person has a black? thumb and things just die for them so they quit trying to grow things. It could be they need a bit of help to keep things going. Giving them plants to hang that don't take much care is a good thing to do. I would appreciate it myself. dooley

7. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

We have an organization here in Knoxville called Random Acts of Flowers. This is their mission statement:
    Random Acts of Flowers is a non-profit organization dedicated to uplifting a person's spirit. Working in partnership with health organizations and local florists, our members and volunteers spread joy and offer comfort through random, thoughtful botanical deliveries.

I am thinking of volunteering with this group, I think its a wonderful idea. I have brought flowers to our local nursing home.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a nice thing for you to do.
    They may have problems with alergies and don't know what to plant that they could live with so plastic at least gives them some color in the yard.

9. plantjunky

plantjunky New Seed

cool

thank you for ya'lls input. my mother said that if she were the one receiving the plant that she might feel a little embarrassed, the plastic one being 'unacceptable'. i thought this might make me out to be a little presumptuous.

i figure now that i will have homeruns and outs, but that is not going to stop me. i think that anything truly green really brings out the life of winter. there is life out there you just hafta find it.

i will be thinking of other such acts to make projects for and i will be doing this non stop; time and funds and patients permitting.

this is the first of many, and if they like it, they like it; if not, i have my own evergreen, drought tolerant, cold hardy fern to hang in my yard.

thanks,
    pat

10. fencesllove

fencesllove Seedling

Well, Random Acts of Flowers is a non-profit organization dedicated to uplifting a person's spirit.

11. Newfpaws

Newfpaws Seedling

I think its a wonderful idea and even if it is not well received you must not stop looking for ways to do Random Acts. It's not even about the plant really, it's about your heart to do something for someone. That's great. My grandmother when she got in her 80's couldn't care for her flower beds anymore so she "planted" all kinds of plastic flowers in her yard. It gave her joy to see the colors. I lived 1,000 miles away in Utah so couldn't help her. And from a distance no one knew they were plastic. She would have been thrilled to have someone do what you are doing.