Raspberry cuttings Advice.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Danjensen, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

I tidied up my raspberry canes last weekend, still 2ft of snow on the ground. but was good to be back in the garden :)

The growth i removed looked health with buds so I brought them inside and potted up for some cuttings and extra bushes this year.

I covered the pot and the stems with a plastic bag to maintain moisture and the leaves are starting to form in the bag now.

Just wondering when I should remove the bag from the cuttings? cant imagine the roots have had time to form yet.

thanks for the advice

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

You might take one out of the potting medium and look to see if roots have started. Berries are usually pretty quick. Next time you might want to use clear glass jars and put the canes next to the glass. then you can see when the roots start. With the plastic bag method it maintains moisture so you don`t have to worry about drainage. Or if you do just put some rocks in the bottom of the jar then the potting medium. Its better when you can see the roots.

4. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

ok thanks Mart, great tip with the glass jars didn't think of that.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Are there roots on the canes that you thinned? if not, the "cuttings" won't make any roots, either. To make a new row of raspberries, dig the new canes as you are thinning the patch and set those in a new row. That's all there is to making a new row of raspberries. Then water them in and take care of them for the late season crop this year or perhaps next year at the latest. good luck

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Carolyn is right. I didn't think Raspberries would do that from cuttings. We have 2 patches of raspberries and I am for ever keeping them in bounds. They spread so rapidly every year. I am always digging out some and throwing them away. If you were closer I would give you some canes in the spring. Our raspberries are ever-barring. I really like the fact that you can have berries from mid summer until it freezes. Yummmy. :stew1:

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

No joke ?? I thought most berries would root !! Guess raspberries are different !!

8. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

This made me curious, so I browsed Google. One site I found (http://www.fruit-crops.com/rubus.html) said "Leafy Stem Cuttings. This method can be used for any bramble; semi-hardwood cuttings are rooted under mist in mid-summer." Although it didnt specify how they do it. So raspberries can be done this way, right?
    I myself have seen my raspberries grow roots from a tip that touched ground. Its still like that, I need to do something with it, Id like to have more berry plants.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Bip, You are correct. but at this time of the year all there is to use is woody canes and they will not produce any roots. there is no leaf growth and the stem is just too woody as opposed to some green in the stem to produce roots. Otherwise, black rasp berries and most other brambles will reroot from the tip if they touch the ground, however, I don't think red raspberries will, ours just don't arch over and touch the ground as they are growing. the roots produce new crowns throughout the season.

10. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Ah, so it has to be green and growing? Guess that makes sense.
    I have black and yellow rasps myself, as I dont particularly like the red.

11. mart

mart Strong Ash

All I have is blackberries and I know they will root during the growing season.