Raspberry questions, and rhubarb again

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by AAnightowl, Mar 4, 2020.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I was out getting pet food today, and of course the feed store has lots of fruit trees, berry bushes, seeds, roses, etc.

I got 2 new raspberry bushes to replace the ones that died last year or the year before (I loose track), and another rhubarb start.

I have wild black raspberries that do great, only wild berries are not so big as tame ones. My tame raspberries have not yielded a single berry so far, and several bushes have died. :( I could add some rabbit manure if they like that. I have my new bushes soaking in water overnight (all of the other berry bushes and roses recommend that).

(I only have 2 surviving blueberry bushes in tubs also... any tips on them? My "dwarf" blueberry bush is huge and yields lots of berries. The other one is a newbie from last spring...)

I need to find a new sunny spot for the rhubarb, which obviously did not like the two previous places I tried to grow it. I remember that it grows deep roots and loves manure. The manure I can do--Horsey makes lots. So does the Bunny. How big should I dig the hole once I find a good spot to plant it?

2. Loading...

3. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

I think it's normal for raspberries to not produce in the first year, every year there is new growth that doesn't produce while the old-growth produces, so you might not get much of anything this year.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

adam is correct but I am concerned why they died. is it the only time or do none of your berries survive? if none of them survive check around for black walnut trees. they kill off any competition near it. even once the tree is gone the chemical it secretes stays in the soil for about 7 years. otherwise maybe they got too dry before they were established and died.

5. Logan

Logan In Flower

You could be planting raspberries too deep. The roots like to be just under the soil and with a lot of drainage. I wouldn't soak them for so long, only a couple of hours and that's if they're bare rooted same with all the other fruits as well and roses.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Think of tall bush blueberries as dwarf fruit trees. They create a thick fibrous root system with a tap root(s) also. Slow to produce the first few years. Most types like acid soil. Think peat and decomposed bark (related to huckleberries that grow on decomposing logs) Here they are commercially grown in bogs that dry out in the summer. In my yard they do well in good garden soil.

Logan likes this.
  7. Odif

Odif In Flower

Maybe 40 cm deep at least for rhubarb and make sure it is well fertilised. Water deeply when watering till it is well established.