Re-caulking a tub

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Pianolady, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I have to do this every two years or so, which really isn't too bad. I have this "thing" about tub caulk being clean and non-mildew or moldy. Once it gets in there, it must be replaced or it just keeps growing. So, I've gotten pretty good at it by now!

Here's my very easy way to do it, probably obvious, but here goes anyway.

Step 1: Remove all the old caulk, using a razor blade to scrape every last piece off the tub and/or surround. This is not fun, but necessary. I use a bit of Goof Off on a cotton swab when I'm done to be sure it's all off.

Step 2: Use painters tape to outline your area you are going to caulk. This is great if you don't want to try to be "perfect" without it. It comes out perfect every time this way.
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Use a toothepaste crimper on your caulk tube, it eliminates the chance for air pockets.
    [​IMG]

Step 4: Apply the caulk according to the instructions on the tube. I apply quite liberally, as I know the tape will protect the area.

Step 5: Using a wet finger run from one end to the other, letting excess caulk go right on the painters tape.

Step 6: Immediately remove the painters tape and throw it away. You're done! Comes out perfect every time.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Many thanks for this post Pianolady. We need to recaulk both our shower, bath and sink so now we know how to get the perfect finish. No more scraping off the excess and making a mess!! :D

4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

The bf is supposed to recaulk his bathroom tub one of these days, cause its rather gross (hasnt been recaulked since the fam moved in 10 years ago...ewww), this is very helpful :)

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Pianolady, I do this every 2 years also. It's either the hard water or not having a light over your shower I am told by my shower company. When I grew up my father never redid our shower and it looked great for over 50 years. There is something wrong here these days. Don't you think.

I even use Limeaway every 6 months. It doesn't fix the problem.

I will try your way the next time I do it. Mine really shows the problem happening after only 4 months.

Barb in Pa.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Use cleaner with bleach or add bleach to whatever cleaner you use in the bathroom. That prevents mold and mildew from forming and kills it if it does.

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I don't get mold or mildew. My calk just turns yellow and stops sticking. I have sanded a little before applying as per manufacturers instruction, I have used vinegar and goop stuff. I have done everything. I think the neater the job, like Pianolady says, the longer it might last. I am willing to try anything.

Barb in Pa.

8. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I'm not sure mildew is my real problem, it's probably the hard water. We have incredibly hard water, and our water softener got bypassed for a while when we replaced our hot water heater (thanks Mr. Plumber, lol). What I'm calling mold may very well be rust like Barb is talking about.

9. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I also taped one for my customer.Plumber wanted $$$$ to do it. Also said she needed new stool-was plugged under where water come in. Used pumice stone.Took all the rust streaks and hard water build up off.

10. Stevia

Stevia New Seed

That is a terrific trick indeed and I'll like to thank you for sharing it with us .I use paper which is perfect to give a proper outline but is troublesome to work with as it shifts easily but using a tape would be a lot easier. In addition, I just wanted to ask that how did you apply tape perfectly, I tried once and ended up with the tape sticking on entire tub.

11. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

If you use a high quality painters tape, it's more forgiving and will let you lift and try again. I eyeballed it, there was no trick to getting the tape perfectly straight. It required crawling and/or reaching into the tub and trying to get on the same level as the tape. As always, the prep work is the hardest part, as were the corners. I used several pieces of tape and overlapped them, not one continuous piece.

An afterthought...when you remove the tape immediately after caulking, check to make sure it didn't lift the edge of your caulking (smooth it back down with a wet finger).