Reclassification of Snake Plants to Monstera

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Jewell, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    With genetic studies most snake plants (Sansevieria) have been moved to a different classification, Monstera. I have an old typical snake plant out in my she shed. I have tried numerous times to try and kill it with over watering. It is big and had to leave the house. I found a small cylinderical variety that sits in my bedroom window. I like it so much I have several starts. Heaven only knows what I will do with them all.

Here is a photo of snake plant starts in a vase next to a monstera start (smaller variety with holy leaves...my daughter in law asked if it had bugs)

BC3CF68A-5A55-4CA7-B90C-03BE8B862899.jpeg

My favorite new snake plant. Have had it about two years. The cat kept eating the tips off.

EB798285-CB57-4471-8805-3678ABA80545.jpeg

Here’s some birds nest varieties. Slower growing so stay manageable longer.

7B340D26-8A45-44A8-97B0-6E40B3F93E8C.jpeg

If you have any monstera or snake plants please post more photos. This smaller holy climbing variety is the first one I’ve found I felt might fit into my small home without being kicked to the curb the next year. I hate homeless plants :eek:

2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Here is the old common snake plant. It occasionally blooms. I moved it out to the shack and am hoping I didn’t overwater it this last week. (The first time I’d watered it since transplanting a month ago.) Since this is a south facing window I had to find some old swags to protect it from the intense sun. They do love bright light though, which it will get in the shack. Some leaves are over 3 foot. AA9B1C0B-D76B-47CE-B3C9-7EA5A7A0D15A.jpeg