Releasing a butterfly into the wild. Help.

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by bradders33, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

How great of you to help her out. I am hoping I have as many Monarchs next year as I did this. I had a fascinating summer with them on the plants and watching them through all of their changes.. :-D

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This is turning into a very interesting posting, Bradders. Good luck with her.

3. bradders33

bradders33 New Seed

Hi all,

On Monday Paula moved in to an old fish tank that a kind friend lent me, to give her some flapping space!.. It has no lid, so a piece of perforated clingfilm has had to to the trick..

Picture attached.. She is sat on a piece of apple, next to a spoon of sugar water.

I'm a bit worried about her tonight though, she hasn't moved at all, all day, she is 8 days old, so I guess she might be preparing to fly to the butterfly fields in the sky? It makes me sad, who'd have thought that I'd get attached to a little pretty butterfly?

x

[​IMG]
    Paula's pad! ( photo / image / picture from bradders33's Garden )

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I don't think it's odd that you've gotten so attached to her at all. I think it's pretty sweet. I've appreciated hearing about her these days and you've taken such care to give her a good life, however long or short it turns out to be. This has been a joyful little thread.

Advertisement
  5. bradders33

bradders33 New Seed

Aw thanks Daisy and thanks to everyone who has posted on here.

Sadly, Paula is definitely starting to fade. She has been lying on her side for the past 24 hours. :'(

Anyone know long it takes a butterfly to pass away normally? Seems a long time, I hate seeing her laying there like that.

6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Oh.... I'm sorry, Bradders...you have definately done right by Paula. Don't feel bad. She had a great life for a little butterfly! I think her life's purpose was to bring you to GardenStew. I hope you'll stay.

7. bradders33

bradders33 New Seed

Aw, thank you.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sad news Bradders. However, you gave little Paula a good life that she probably wouldn't have had otherwise. She may take a couple of days to pass away but it's a natural process that these butterflies go through and nothing you've done wrong.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It's not odd at all to become attatched to something that you are nurturing. I take my hat off to you for taking good care of Paula.
    You may have a totally different way of looking at butterflies now when next season arrives. You may feel a "kinship".

Well done, you.''Ã?ou are a true friend of nature.

10. bradders33

bradders33 New Seed

It's odd, most of the time I go to see her and she is lying on her side, then I check her again and she is sat upright?!

11. bradders33

bradders33 New Seed

Sad news.

I'm sad to report that the lovely Paula passed away in the night. She was 11 days old bless her.

Yep, I will look differently at butterfies next year and may even collect some caterpillars to feed up and release once emerged!

Hope Paula is fluttering away happily up there.

Thanks everyone for your advice and kind words.

x

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I'm SURE Paula is fluttering happily. She never knew anything different than happiness here either, thanks to you. I will probably look differently at a butterfly or two next year too.

13. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I read and your original posts and thought how sweet and kind you were to go through all of that caring and worrying about Paula. So sorry to hear that her time has expired. You did a great job making her happy and comfy, I'm sure.

14. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Paula enjoyed her 11 days of life with you I'm sure Bradders. You did everything you could for her but nature took its inevitable course despite all the care and attention you gave her.

15. bradders33

bradders33 New Seed

Thanks everyone for your lovely replies.

I am not ashamed to say that I have shed a few tears.

What concerns me is that it took so long for her to die.. about 4 days.. Is this normal? It was heartbreaking to see.

Vickki.
    x

Frank likes this.