Renovated Lawn, brown patches

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by handymanscot, Jun 14, 2009.

1. handymanscot

handymanscot New Seed

Hi there,

New to the forum, zone 7, Charlotte, NC. I renovated the lawn last fall, had many pines removed, ground the stumps, tilled the entire lawn and raked as much of the grindings out. I didn't add topsoil but I fertilized and planted Lesco Trigold. It came up beautifully and is still mostly green. We've had lots of sun and rain and it drains well. I've kept the mower on maximum height and spread a weed and feed two months ago, then an insecticide a few weeks ago. There have been some inconsistent patches of growth due to, I thought, high concentrations of stump grindings. I'm now seeing brown circles all over the lawn even in the healthy areas. Do you think I have "brown patch"? How can I correctly diagnose and cure this problem?

Thanks, Scot in Charlotte.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kazzawazza
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Movieman
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Papa2mykids

Papa2mykids Seedling

Hi Scot,

Maybe you've already resolved your problem, but it doesn't hurt to reply.

any things could be causing die off, but it sounds more like a fungus issue to me.

Some fungus thrive on warm humid conditions, some live off the dead and decaying matter below, but you would more than likely see mushrooms growing.

Take a few good high quality pictures of you lawn and dead spots and bring them into a well established garden center that has someone on staff that can assist you.

Explain everything to them as you did here.

It could be a number of illnesses, and though I have some knowledge and experience dealing with Michigan lawns, It wouldn't be fair for me to attempt to diagnose your situation.

If you can't find a good helper, look for a Scott's lawn care booklet that describes most lawn problems...maybe google for it.

Ron