Rescuing Herbs- a growing challenge

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

O.K. here goes.....first(besides welcome) forum post.

Some where in the grocery store aisles sits packages of herbs just waiting to be rescued. Just think....grow your own winter herb garden and someone else has already given you a head start. There are several things we gan learn from this window sill experiment. How long does it take to root various herbs? What kind of rooting media works best? Which herbs do well? Which ones were harder or did not work at all? Get a head start on a summer herb garden. Have fun.

I'm off to the grocery store:)

Jerry

2. mart

mart Strong Ash

Not sure but I don`t think they will root like that !!! Never tried it though,, growing from seed is too easy and much less expensive !!

3. Jerry Sullivan

Some will some will not

Some herbs will root, this link to my blog entry features flowers from sage cuttings after a few weeks.

http://www.gardenstew.com/blog/e10953-4 ... g-pot.html

Sage and rosemary will root.

It's the experimenting that is the challenge. What is gleaned from the process is the confidence in yourself to do what others have failed to do or have dismissed out of hand. When you prove something to yourself it is then up to others to duplicate your success.

Jerry

I can do anything, until I prove to myself that I can not.
    Jerry Sullivan 1996

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

LOL, Thats true. Sage and rosemary are hardwoods and are easily rooted. Somehow I just did not think about those two since I have them growing and rarely buy them. Currently I am rooting a pomegranite sprig. I have a larger one and need another to balance out the opposite side of my house.

Advertisement
  5. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Yep Jerry - Lavender will also root. It being hard wood too.
    However I never tried with the softer herbs.
    Like Mart says - growing them from seed woks easy enough for me. :stew1:

6. Jerry Sullivan

To that list one might add basil, oregano and thyme. Although the last time I tried thyme I did not have any success. The kitchen window sill is starting to get crowded. :)

Jerry

7. Delly

Delly In Flower

I have a winter window sill garden, sage, rosemary, thyme, basil (2 kinds) and am gonna look into more...I love to cook and cooking with my herbs makes everything so yummy and the kitchen always smells so good!

8. gramma drake

gramma drake New Seed

I've always wanted to get some horseradish growing. Late last summer, we were in the produce section of the grocery store and saw some roots just laying there begging to be rescued! We bought one, brought it home, did some internet research, then stuck it in the ground! We decided it would be a good experiment, and if it didn't grow, we were only out a dollar plus some change.

We waited and waited, then a couple weeks later, when we had made up our minds it probably wasn't going to work, guess what popped up out of the ground? LOL! After those first couple of leaves popped through, the puppy went to town on us!! We're really anxious to see if it really makes it through the awful winter we're having here in southern Indiana and comes up next spring.

What fun we have experimenting!!!

gramma drake :)

9. Jerry Sullivan

Hi gramma drake,

Glad to hear you had success with the horseradish. No matter how an experiment turns out it's a great learning experience. I have had good success with herbs. Roots are another area to experiment with. A local grocery store has an ethnic produce area with roots from around the world. While I am familiar with the home grown variety of roots, others from far off places are intriguing because I don't know what it will look like. I love surprises. Some of the roots are quite large, looks like it may be a spring/summer time project for the garden.

Jerry