Results of today's junque shopping

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Nov 24, 2015.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We only made it to two stores but I am very happy with my new finds.

Randy actually found something too.....these don't work but being a HAM they will be added to the radio decor in his work room.
    J.Meters.JPG

Okay, now for the real junque....
    I have been looking for a reasonably priced milk can for a long time, this one is perfect. It has the brass plaque from the milk company that used it years ago and I like the paint job the previous owner gave it. I think white Lobelia and Chocolate Morning Glories will be perfect in it next year.
    J.can.JPG

I buy these when I find them for a good price and use them as weed holders, plant carriers when transplanting, dirt haulers, lots of useful things. Then when the bottom rusts out they become planters.
    J.coal.JPG

A childs size shovel is just the size needed when a large or medium one are too big.
    J.shovel.JPG

These spindles will be painted different colors and sealed with spar varnish for weather protection, Randy will drill a hole up into the base to fit over short pieces of rebar and placed along the fence at the north shade bed so the fencing I have there can be attached to them for support.
    J.Spindles.JPG

The stars will be painted and just scattered around the north shade bed for pretty.
    J.Stars.JPG
    Now this is the best of the day. I am going to coat it with Spar Varnish for weather protection too and it will be out front holding a large pan of trailing Mexican Petunias. And some sort of plant or pretty on the bottom shelf and on the small shelf on the back panel. It was a real bargain, I have seen some similar for $000. I sang Merry Christmas to me as we checked out with it.
    J.washstand.JPG

waretrop, Droopy, eileen and 2 others like this.
  2. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Lovely finds as always Toni and Randy :like: I especially like the milk can. What was the item in the final photo originally used for?

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

OO I love absolutely everything and would have those spindles and stars here and the milk churn and the ......!!! Why, oh why, can't I find great things like that anywhere around here? :(

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Isn't that last one an old fashioned kid's potty chair? It's fabulous!!

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great finds as always Toni!

6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Depending on the height of the green cabinet, it could have been a hand washing stand. The opening holding a large bowl and the small shelf above for soap.

7. toni

Bingo! 2of us....that last photo is of a homemade wash stand.... or we figured a potty for Andre the Giant. It's overall height is 42 inches, 18 inches of that being the back piece. It was labeled as a potting table by the seller, but many sellers do not have the faintest idea of what they are selling. I am pretty sure I have a large enamelware bowl out back that will fit that hole, if it's too small Randy is going to attach it with clips underneath for me.

We had almost been through the entire first antique mall yesterday and I had found nothing I wanted....that is really depressing for a junque-aholic. On the last row of booths I found the coal bucket then the milk can in the next booth....that antique mall proved itself worthy of a repeat visit in the future. We have been there a few other times but usually came out with little or nothing to speak of.

At the second antique mall Randy found his treasures, I saw that wash stand but without a plan for where to put it since it is pretty large, I decided to think about it for a while. We finished roaming that store and I realized that it had to come home with me and the right place for it would become evident soon....and I would really be kicking myself if I didn't get it.

Droopy and Frank like this.
  8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm glad you decided to get the wash stand and if you ever get tired of it..send me a PM!

9. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

The right place for that wash stand would be at my house. I'll send postage.

10. toni

For the winter it is safely tucked away in the spare room so I can keep an eye out for junque raiders.
    Got the basin situated, it's just a tad smaller than the hole so it slips around but with the help of servo tape it will move around no longer.
    J.Washstand2.JPG

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Toni, that looks so attractive! The wicker basket is the perfect shape and the soap and soap dish sets it off. I like it so much I'm going to see if I can build one out of old scarred up wood for my patio this spring.

12. toni

When you do build you own, please be sure to post photos of the process and the outcome.....we love to see project photos.

13. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely finds, toni. :stew2: I really like the coal bucket. I've seen a few around, but they're so expensive I couldn't even think about using one outdoors. The wash basin stand is really something special. I think you were wise to put it indoors for the time being. ;)