Rhubarb Leaves

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Melody Mc., Jun 22, 2022.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I understand that the leaves are toxic, but at the same time there are SO many of them. In the past I've laid them down around areas that I don't want things to grow ( paths in the garden) but they do get a little slippery. Eventually I end up picking them up anyhow and tossing them.

I'm wondering what folks do with theirs? Can they be composted??

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Hiya Melody, I just asked Zigs what he does as he grows loads of rhubarb. He says YES you can compost them, and they're only toxic for us to eat !

4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Compost

Pacnorwest, Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  5. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Always composted them too.

Pacnorwest, Logan and Melody Mc. like this.

Advertisement
  6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thank you muchly . ( mulchly??) :D

Pacnorwest, Logan, Sjoerd and 3 others like this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

The toxin in rhubarb leaves should break down in compost. I use them for mulch too.

Rhubarb leaf toxic?

Pacnorwest, Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I put them in the compost bins, they make the compost rot down faster, also human urine.

Droopy, Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Logan this made me laugh and I quickly googled it. Briliant! Peeing outdoors is a big thing here for those who can stand up to do it and avoid the many bugs that would enjoy a larger exposed meal. There are whoops of "Yeah!" echoing off of the mountains for the suggestion of a compost pile target. You've made history out here in the bush Logan hahaha Thank you.

Logan, Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It is common over here as well. It is helpful in the compost bin. Nitrogen and trace elements add to the compost’s composition and richness. Urine also helps speed up the composting process.
    It all may sound funny or even shocking, but I find it helpful.

Logan, Melody Mc. and Droopy like this.
  11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Yup, used to be common in Norway too, and it's making a return as people want to use less chemical stuff in their gardens. Thinned out it's referred to as "goldwater". Guess that sounds better than diluted urine.

Logan, Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Welllll.....( about to share too much information) - our master bedroom is up a very steep flight of 16 stairs into the loft of the original log cabin of our home. There is one bathroom - downstairs. Hubby is very protective and wise....noone is navigating those stairs once or twice in the night for a duty call. So we already have a system....and the compost pile is PERFECT for this.

I really am pleased :)

Pacnorwest, Droopy and Logan like this.
  13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

When we were growing up the toilet was downstairs but there was a bucket in each bedroom and it would be emptied in the morning.I watch this guy on YouTube what happens when you urinate on plants in your garden

14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Actually that’s been around a long time, human urine around the garden will keep the deer away. I’d rather use plantskyyd. Who want to keep running around the circumference of their garden every day .. if it’s large acreage.
    Harvest the rhubarb tomatoes for pie better than pumpkin. I have used the huge leaves as a mold to make concrete leaves paint them and pop them around the garden and use as a bird bath . The large leaves from other plants even hostas or gunnera-Chilean rhubarb.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  15. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Well....funny ubdate......the urine didn't keep the bear away that got into my new compost pit.o_O AND he ate most of the chopped up rhubarab leaves( along with onions and cabbage leaves) :confused:I noticed that there is a giant ant nest in there so maybe that also caught his interest when he came back for seconds hahahaha. Gross Bear....and I hope he gets a terrible tummy ache from it all. :scheming:;) I'll turn it over with the tractor today add some discouragment for the ants before adding more rhubarb leaves tomorrow. He should be moving on soon as the forests lush up, until then I'll be careful about what I put in there. Bet he didn't know there was pee in there......:snicker:

Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  16. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thanks for sharing this Logan. Hubby found this video great ...and has asked me if there are any particular areas of the farm he should experiment with. I suggested not the memory garden as it is in the middle of the front of the property, but the feel free to fly at it anywhere else. I think he may be documenting growth hahahaha

Sjoerd and Logan like this.