rider mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by miss_olmstead, May 22, 2007.

1. miss_olmstead

miss_olmstead New Seed

My son was mowing the yard and the mower just started going really slow then stopped,its running but it will not move forward or bckward. anyone know what might be wrong

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have a riding mower too. Randy says it is most likely a belt that has either stretched out or broken.
    Look under the mower, if you see an empty pulley that is where the belt should be.
    Do a google search for the brand name and model number and you can probably find a picture of what it is supposed to look like under there. If you have the manual, there might be one also.
    Since the motor isn't involved, the repair will be relatively inexpensive and easy.

4. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

A slipped belt was my first thought too. Be sure to have him check all the fluid levels too, I always check everything every time I fill the tank.

5. Hank

Hank Seedling

Yep, it's the drive belt. Riders typically have two belts - one to propel the blades and one to drive the rear tires. Depending on the make, it can be a difficult do-it-yourself fix.

Now, if this rider is hydrostatic, throw everything you've just read out the window. Hydrostatic mowers still use a belt on the blades, but the tires are driven by a hydraulic pump. This can be extremely costly to repair.

If your rider has a gear selector and a clutch/brake, then most likely it's belt drive.